Router Forums banner

What CNC Router for 1 inch Thk Aluminum Plate

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase a 4x8 CNC router that can mill 1 inch 6061-T6 aluminum plate and have an accuracy and repeatability of 0.0035" in X and Y. Workpiece is 35" x 35". Any brands or manufacturers suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance

#6 ·
I've purchased 1/2, 3/4 and 1" thick CNC cut letters and graphics from Sign Manufacturers. If there is a large custom sign shop in your area that does CNC Aluminum signs & graphics, maybe you could drop in and share some notes.
Leeds Aluminum Signs in Leeds, AL and Gemini Signage are two that I've done business with over the years.
Not to be invasive, but, is this a new adventure for you - or, have you been out-sourcing the jobs in the past.

#8 ·
Mike - this is a very slow moving forum, mostly old retired woodworker folks that "dabble" in all kinds of woodworking tools and machinery.
That said; we all can't be here all the time. So it may take a day or two or ten before you get the answers that suit you.
Another option would be to visit www.signs101.com They specialize in CAD/CAM & CNC work.

#14 ·
Are you contour milling, or are you just cutting out parts in profile? You were rather specific in your choice of aluminum, are you making parts for maunfacturing.
If you are contour milling, you will need a pretty big machine, and it will need to be mounted to a solid floor, quite thick. This can be pretty costly.
In any case to hold the accuricy you should look at a mill, probably a gantry type. You cannot use a mill/router for wood, unless you cut very very slowly, as you will get a lot of deflection otherwise.
I do wordworking as a hobby, with some selling on the side, but I am a retired mechanical engineer and one of my projects was the tooling to make the B-2 bomber, which was all aluminum.
Your overall size of your material, will require a pretty good size machine. You might consider contracting out the part.
Good luck, Tim

#16 ·
G'day Tim, welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.