Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Totally new to routing but want to cut a 2mm wide slot 5mm deep 3mm away from the edge of a 18mm deep piece of mdf sheet. I would also like to cut the same size slot again 3mm from the edge of a 550 mm radius curve

Is this possible and what would I need
Any advise would be appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
3mm away from the edge , my just break off , I have added some slots for plastic to hold up as a roof to a conservatory cupboard into 18mm MDF, with 6mm away from edge , - I used a single flute 3.2mm 1/2" router bit which happened to be in the kit of trend bits I have, with a Dewalt625 router. And that edge was very flimsy, fortunately its at the top so not really doing anything - in fact i was thinking of just creating a ledge with a plane , but this stops any accidental pushing up
Will the 3mm not break off ?

maybe if its a 550mm radius you could use a circle jig and clamp a bit of wood for the pivot and then run the router around that way.

I just recently purchased a Trend CRB 7 Jig to do circles and other things - only received last weekend , so not used yet, but youtube videos looked promising

I purchased the Trend Version via FFX on special offer in UK £60 Next day Delivery

Then with that jig, put the wood on a bench clamped and then a bit of waste withing the radius , so you can pivot around the internal radius.

I'll perhaps draw the idea up - so you can see a picture

This is what i was thinking , together using a CRB7 Jig, or make a circle jig from scrape waste

there are other jigs for just circles , but i choose this because of the versatility & size of my router makes for easier trim work. Plus i will be doing some mortise/tenon joins later on a project. I also have an 8'x4' MDF table top for the garden over 2 tables , i need to make finish some poor jigsaw cut radius ends on.
so made the outlay worth it for multiple jobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Steve do you have a diagram showing what you're trying to do. It sounds like a jig may be needed and often times these can be made in the shop. But more importantly are you using a router table or trying this handheld? If handheld you'll need to use a fence and a means to set your starting and ending point on the straight slot(s). As for the curve you'll need to buy/make a circle cutting jig. Also keep in mind you want to make multiple passes for deep cut, deeper then 1/8-3/16", and regulate both the speed of the bit and the speed of moving your router. If you move too sow you'll likely burn the wood, too fast and you won't get a clean cut and risk breaking the bit.

Setting your start/stop points would be similar to making mortises with a router. Use a start/stop block based on the router base and the bit use like here.

-Steve

·
Official Greeter
19,975 Posts
G'day Steve, welcome to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.