Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

I'm posting it on this forum because most of the work was made on the router table.

The stool is made of 1¼" thick oak and according to the "instructions" it's without any finish, just pure Oak as you see on the pics.

The red markings (I, II, III, V) has nothing to do with the drilling, they are only for the wood patterns.

Regards
niki

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Niki,

AWESOME...... and you say no glue was used on the joints at all? That is some very tight jointery for sure.

I was looking at your table saw dust collection. If you get a chance, could elaborate on your system and how happy you are with it?

Many thanks for all the great posts. I think perhaps you should be in the running of forum contibutor instead of me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bob

Don't get me wrong, I did glue it and even with Polyurethane glue.

On the pic with the text "Dowel power only - no glue" it's only a dry run.

The TS blade is in enclosed shroud (EU Safety regulations), the DC port is under the table and my R2D2 is connected to this port. Usually, the R2D2 is removing almost all the dust.

The blade guard is connected to the Riving knife (that is a must as per the EU safety regulations) with bolt and wing nut and includes dust port (yes, also EU safety reg.).
Well, if I have already, why not to use it, so I'm connecting to it the second shop vac (you can see it on the 3rd pics connected to the router table - the black rectangular box) and I get zero dust.

Both shop vacs are on wheels and I increased the hose dia to 2" on both of them

niki

This is my R2D2

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Beautiful work Niki, especially when one considers you're rather basic set-up. You did however fail to show the very important drilling operation. One other point, I'm not convinced that trapping the timber against the blade is the way to go, even though it appears to be spring pressure, others thoughts on this will be of interest.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
I am not sure Harry myself. I would think this would act much like a feather board and once it get's to the riving knife I am not sure that would be a problem plus he does have a hold down roller on the board as well on the fence side of the cut. If it isn't burning or pinching during the cut my guess is he has it set up right on.

Corey

·
2,392 Posts
Hi Niki!

Another great project and photo coverage!

I too would like to see your drilling jig / method.

It looks like they're small / short sitting stools... but it's hard to tell in the pics.
What are the overall dimens.?

Oh, I'm curious... do you really have room for them in your garage?
... or are they to be used elsewhere? :) :D

Beautiful work!

What country are you in right now?

Thank you for sharing!!

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
The fit on those are really nice Niki. Nice work. Thanks for the pics. Glad to see there is no snow in the driveway.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you for your kind replies

Harry
The procedure is a bit long [I mean, pictures wise (35 pics), time wise, it takes some 15~20 minutes for this project], I'll post it in other thread.
The timber is not trapped, it's difficult to see in the pic, but the front roller of the so-called "feather roller" is located before the blade and even with "Full high" blade, the roller pressure is released 1¾" before the blade.

Corey
You are correct, the rollers are acting as Feather board but they also push the timber down to the table.
The Hold-down rollers are located one before and one after the blade and in addition to holding down the timber, they also push it toward the fence.
The set-up of "Feeder rollers" combined with the "Hold down rollers" makes the cutting of big long boards a matter of "Just push it and don't wary".

Joe
Yes I have space. All my jigs are very small or flat and can be stored easily.
I live in Poland and that's the reason for my late replies, sometimes....

Dr.Zook
Well, the winter must end one day. But look at the bright side...I have 3~4 months "Hibernation"....to get fat again after the hard work of the summer:)

Thanks again
niki

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Niki mentioned Poland in a previous post, if that is so I would love to know how he learned such near perfect English.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
It looks like Niki and I clicked our mice at the same time. Well, what can anyone say about Niki, here we have a most ingenious guy turning out first class work with what appears to be the minimum of equipment. Having said that, did you notice the saw blade, it looked like 300mm with about 80 teeth, if so it puts my Triton 9 1/4" to shame.
Translation: 300mm = approx. 12" Note for Niki, Template Tom and I are attempting to educate the Yanks into thinking metric, they make such hard work of measurements, things like 19/64ths.
Hopefully I've been on the forum long enough for no-one to take offence at my ramblings, I suspect that even Joe has mellowed.

Edit; changed 8 1/4' to 9 1/4"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Harry
Yes it Poland but, I'm not a Pole, I lived in Israel most of my life and also 11 years in Japan.

The "near perfect" (near but still far) English is from my previous job (I'm retired), so is the Metric/Imperial measuring system, I worked with both.

But I still need the "Spell check" to "translate" it to "English". The English spelling is very difficult for "outsiders" - either you Know or you don't Know the spell (what is the K doing at the beginning of the Know). In a way, it reminds me the "Kanji" (Chinese or Japanese characters) either you know or not what some Kanji means.

niki

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Harry
Well again we "clicked" together.

My blades are 10" and I use the 80 or 100 tooth blades for Melamine, plywood or MDF.
For hard wood I use 40 (rip) or 60 (crosscut).

It's very difficult task to teach the Metric system in a country that everything else is Imperial.
Even the British that changed to Metric some 15 years ago, are still measuring distances (road signs) in Miles and still use both systems for drill bits or router bits...it not easy but good luck.

niki

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Hi Niki, I know that I'm deviating from sawdust, but I, and I'm sure other members of the forum would be interested in knowing a little more about you, for instance, what is you're age and what kind of work did you do and what took you to Poland. Please don't feel embarrassed if you prefer not to answer such questions, simply ignore the request and carry on as normal. Like you, I have used both Imperial and metric systems, having arrived in Australia at age 32 also to the Imperial system but this started to change to metric from 14th February 1966 and took quite a few years to complete, but let's face it Niki, isn't metric so much easier? Regarding the English language, I'm now age 73 and could not possibly have sent this message without the help of the spell-checker. I'm sure that we all look forward to many more posts from you.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Here's a tool that many don't know about :) ~ K ~

Google will fine many works for you by typing ▼

define: Kanji ______in the search bar

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:+Kanji&btnG=Google+Search

Bj :)

---------------
simplenik said:
Hi Harry
Yes it Poland but, I'm not a Pole, I lived in Israel most of my life and also 11 years in Japan.

The "near perfect" (near but still far) English is from my previous job (I'm retired), so is the Metric/Imperial measuring system, I worked with both.

But I still need the "Spell check" to "translate" it to "English". The English spelling is very difficult for "outsiders" - either you Know or you don't Know the spell (what is the K doing at the beginning of the Know). In a way, it reminds me the "Kanji" (Chinese or Japanese characters) either you know or not what some Kanji means.

niki

·
2,392 Posts
harrysin said:
It looks like Niki and I clicked our mice at the same time. Well, what can anyone say about Niki, here we have a most ingenious guy turning out first class work with what appears to be the minimum of equipment. Having said that, did you notice the saw blade, it looked like 300mm with about 80 teeth, if so it puts my Triton 9 1/4" to shame.
Translation: 300mm = approx. 12" Note for Niki, Template Tom and I are attempting to educate the Yanks into thinking metric, they make such hard work of measurements, things like 19/64ths.
Hopefully I've been on the forum long enough for no-one to take offence at my ramblings, I suspect that even Joe has mellowed.

Edit; changed 8 1/4' to 9 1/4"
Are you saying that I have NOT been mellow? I always thought I was... :D :)

I have always thought that the metric system would be easier in woodworking than these "inches", etc. ! :sold:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BJ
Google is my home page, it opens very quick with Opera.
I know the meaning of 50~100 Kanji's. It's not enough to read or understand so much but, I don't have problems with the spoken language and the Japanese are so kind to show and explain everything you want.

Actually, the day after tomorrow I'm flying to japan so I will be missing you for 12 days.
I must see what new routers Hitachi came-up with, just joking....I'm going for a wedding.

Harry
Without writing my "Resume", from the age of 16 I'm in aviation. First, as an aircraft mechanic in the Air force till the age of 20 and than in EL-AL (Israeli air line), Yes, yes, the good old Boeing 707 and 747 (they are Imperial). After 13 years as a mechanic (and supervisor/inspector) I made a Flight Engineer license and I worked as FE for the next 23 years (the last 11 years in Japan for "Japan Air System") till I decided to retire at the age of 56 while still able to play 3 sets singles tennis.
We moved to Poland 3 years ago because my wife has family here and mainly, because it's still very cheap to live here.
I'm 63 year old now and spend my time between home DIY, garden (just helping my wife...I'm not allowed to touch anything) and of course woodworking, hobby that I started 12 years ago in Japan.

Being familiar to both Imperial and Metric, the Metric is much easier of course, and even the Americans knew what they are doing when they divided the Dollar into 100 Cents and not 16, 32, 64 or 128 but, it's very difficult to change old habits of a nation of 350 Million guys.

Best Regards
niki

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Well Joe, I must confess that when I first joined the forum I got the impression that you were a small thin grumpy old man! However, after visiting you're web site I realised that you were in fact a great big cuddly softy!!!!!

For the curious, take a peep at:

www.woodworkstuff.net

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Thank you Niki for that background information which explains you're mechanical aptitude. I think if between us we could just convert the wood and metalworkers to metric it would be a good start and they would owe us a debt of gratitude!
Enjoy you're holiday and say mazeltov to the bride and groom from downunder

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Harry

At one time the USA was going to switch over to the Metic System but found out it would be a Nightmare ,not to talk about the billions of US dollars it would cost and the Fed. Gov. would be the one that would nead to foot the bill....so it comes down to the bottom line like most things now days.... :)
We have slowly started moving to the metic system in some things like liquids and food items.
But it will be a long time for the other items because of the cost of replacing so many items and I hope they don't try driving on the wrong side of the road that would be a real nightmare :) :) :) LOL ,not to say anythng about driving upside down trick. LOL.

Have a good one Harry :)

Bj :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
harrysin said:
. . . Template Tom and I are attempting to educate the Yanks into thinking metric, . . .
Hopefully I've been on the forum long enough for no-one to take offence at my ramblings,. . .
Well -- I'm new here - but I certainly take no offense at anyone's rambling - I do plenty myself. And it doesn't bother me for someone to promote the metric system.
But -- having been born in Memphis - and raised in Mississippi - a proud son of the South ---- I DO do a BRIEF doubletake when I get referred to as a Yank :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.