Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the year has just about come to a close and its time to think about what to do for 2006 with regards to our bi-weekly email router tip.

We are looking for 26 good ideas on different topics for router tips 2006. Please post your thoughts here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) How to use the router to make larger tenons-i.e. greater than 3/4inch long.
2) Or other ways to make mortises and/or tenons using the router, such as template routing similar to the prohibitively expensive Leigh Jig ~US$750.00.
3) Dadoing when the plywood is non-standard thickness.
4) Dust protection. Wood species to avoid as too hazardous. I've read that in 19th Century English workshops the mahogany shop was filled with workmen who acquired an occupational disease they termed mahogany cough from working with mahogany.
5) Avoiding finishing problems caused by glue oozing from joints. Do you wipe with wet sponge ala Norm or wait until partially dry and remove with a scraper blade?
6) Should router bits be cleaned? What chemicals to avoid?
7) When using a router, when is a hot router or bit too hot? When should you stop and let it cool down. What causes this?
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about some specific tips and encouragement for those who want to but have never operated a router. Maybe many have received them for Christmas gifts this past month and don't know exactly how to get started. You know...."How To Get Started" or "Words of Enciuragement For The Beginner."

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Norm Musur said:
How about some specific tips and encouragement for those who want to but have never operated a router. Maybe many have received them for Christmas gifts this past month and don't know exactly how to get started. You know...."How To Get Started" or "Words of Enciuragement For The Beginner."
I have never thought of this and yes maybe we need to include the "how to get started" element to the email router tip.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Could you show some pictures of your shop? I see your show every week that the Seattle and Tacoma PBS stations have you on. I can only recall seeing your shop panned from the left (our right) where Bob works to the opposite where Rick is. Obviously the preparation takes many steps to where we actually get to see your projects being built.
Thanks for having the show and many thanks to Mark for this great site. -Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Router Tips Do You Want To See?

i WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANY TIPS BUT, THIS PAST YEAR I BELIEVE THAT THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN ABOUT 6 TIPS EVERYTHING ELSE SENDS YOU TO ROUTERFORUMS, WHAT ABOUT THE TIPS???? :eek: :eek:

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
bcruick said:
i WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANY TIPS BUT, THIS PAST YEAR I BELIEVE THAT THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN ABOUT 6 TIPS EVERYTHING ELSE SENDS YOU TO ROUTERFORUMS, WHAT ABOUT THE TIPS???? :eek: :eek:
I haven't been reading every email router tip, but the ones that I have read all included tips. Although, a majority of the email tips does include a link or snipet from RouterForums.com, mainly because its an excellent source of information. It also allows the subcribers to ask any question and recieve an answer within hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tips and more tips

BobandRick said:
Well the year has just about come to a close and its time to think about what to do for 2006 with regards to our bi-weekly email router tip.

We are looking for 26 good ideas on different topics for router tips 2006. Please post your thoughts here.

Jig for queen ann legs
making moulding for pediment style mirrors
step by step patterns to achieve desired results

·
Registered
1 Posts
BobandRick said:

We are looking for 26 good ideas on different topics for router tips 2006.
Please post your thoughts here.

Iwould like to see detailed instructions on doing inlays. I watch your program all the time and the one time you did an inlayed table top the cable went on the blink and I saw nothing. Sure would like to learn how to do that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hay.. How about some good tip on safety.On both hand held and table routers.My buddy lost the tip of his finger on the router table by not using push sticks and blocks.It is very important to keep all of you fingers. So remember to use thoes push sticks..Learning Herb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.