Router Forums banner

"What is it?" #126

2436 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  reible
Remember back to when hacking was an art in woodworking?

No you don't get points for answering that. But you can get 100 if you can tell me what the pictured tool is and how it is used or what it is for. Once again the first one with a correct answer wins.

Now make sure you look at the shape and edge before answering and if you happen to know the common name for this style let me know.... I might throw in a few extra points.



See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Hatchet, carpenters used them for a variety of things mostly trimming rough openings.
ejant said:
Hatchet, carpenters used them for a variety of things mostly trimming rough openings.
I guess I should point out that this is an old style woodworkers tool and while it could be used for hacking like a hatchet it has some twists and turns that make it different then a hatchet...... BTW they still sell these but you have to look a bit to find them.

It looks like a broad axe. Broad Axes and Hatchets for felling timber and working it into useful pieces of wood were indispensable to the first colonists. The broad axe has a broad flaring blade more appropriate for hewing.

Detail: The pattern of the Broad Axe and the handle is based on old Swedish logging techniques for squaring logs and structural timbers of all kinds. Has sufficient space between the "blade’s beard" and the handle for the user’s fingers. Beveled on two sides (double beveled) or on one side, left or right. The eye (and the direction of the handle) may be straight or sideways angled, right or left, to protect the knuckles. One side beveled, left side, normally goes with an eye angled sideways to the right. If you want deeper visible cuts when squaring logs, you may even have a broad axe, double beveled, with the blade bent and the eye angled sideways to the right or to the left.

See less See more
Its a hewing axe or hatchet. Kind of hard to tell what size it is since there's nothing else in the picture that you can use as a reference. If you look closely, the side that is down is flat. If it is fitted with a handle, the handle would often be offset slightly off the table so you don't scrape your knuckles while you're working with it. It is for making hewn logs. They used to flatten the inside walls on the old log buildings with these
You know I like both Billwolley and jeff12002 answers so cause I can I'm making them both winners. Your 100 points (each) are on the way.

This is called a "kent" axe (longer handle) hatchet (short handle). From what I have been told.... this type tool was used back in the Roman Empire times already.

This style which was rather hard to see unless you look hard has a slight curve to the bottom of the cutting part so it most likly had a straight handle vs the more flat design that had a curved handle to keep your hands away from the wood while working.

The cutting edge is ground only on one side making it more like a chisel. This tool could have been used by makers of chairs, barrels, ships and who knows what else. Sort of a general purpose to flatten wood.

This one has seen better days...... someone put roofing nails in to try and get a hammer handle to fit????? Looks like someone was pounding on it with a steel hammer??? Poor tool. I was told it should have an ash handle but who knows if I'll ever get around to figuring out how to make one. Another garage sale special..... no wonder I had to give up going to those.... always trying to save some poor abused tool.

See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.