Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this ruler. Tell us about the numbers you see...... what the heck is going on here???????? This is not your mothers tape measure is it?

Give us the answer to this puzzle and be the first one and you get 50 points!

Ed

Attachments

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,905 Posts
Ed, I must ask this one question. When you get a woodworking catalog do you order one of each? We do have a couple of extra chairs open at Gadgets Anonymous.

Thanks for the challenges!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sanity Saver

Looks like a centre finding tape measure.

The numbers on the top are normal graduations, the bottom numbers are 1/2 scale. To find centre of 27-3/8", just use the bottom scale.

The red numbers in the middle indicate the number of inches after the nearest foot - handy when you're measuring 7' - 5" and don't want to perform mental gymnastics such as 7x12+5= 89.

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is not the #91 that is the 16" mark for easy stud centerfinding when bulding.
Studs are as a general rule 16" on center.

:p

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
kp91 said:
Ed, I must ask this one question. When you get a woodworking catalog do you order one of each? We do have a couple of extra chairs open at Gadgets Anonymous.

kp91, I use to work with a toolmaker who had at least one of every tool. If it came in different colors, he had one of each color too. I think Ed and my guy are related. :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kp91 said:

I'm band for life from those meetings...... I once brought along a catalog to the meeting and before the meeting ended we had over a $500 order together.........

Ed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hedger said:
Looks like a centre finding tape measure.

The numbers on the top are normal graduations, the bottom numbers are 1/2 scale. To find centre of 27-3/8", just use the bottom scale.

The red numbers in the middle indicate the number of inches after the nearest foot - handy when you're measuring 7' - 5" and don't want to perform mental gymnastics such as 7x12+5= 89.

Dan
Good job! Yes you read the true distance then find the same number on the bottom scale which is 1/2 that true distance and you have the center. 37 11/16 divided by 2 is ......... it makes life easier and you end up looking like a much better woodworker/diy in the end.

Ed

#####################
Winner
#####################

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swampt said:
That is not the #91 that is the 16" mark for easy stud centerfinding when bulding.
Studs are as a general rule 16" on center.

:p
GOOD ONE!

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts