Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm drawing a blank Chuck. Parts of it look familiar but other parts don't. The bottom end looks like it is meant to be driven with a brace. You can find antique tool collecting clubs by googling that. They might be able to help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After a quick dive into Google, it looks like it might what's called a chain drill. Not sure how it works, but seems it was designed to deliver more power in a hand drill for difficult work (metals, etc)

·
Registered
35 Posts
man I have mad respect for people back in the day that had to do that type of work by hand like that.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,786 Posts
man I have mad respect for people back in the day that had to do that type of work by hand like that.
Ruben,

I hear you! We made and used a Bow Drill as part of a demonstration on woodworking 2000 years ago, and those woodworkers must have been in fantastic shape!

The tool works and drills well, it just takes a lot of co-ordination between both hands, and just the right amount of downward force on the bit.

My Hitachi drill earned a lot more appreciation from me following that!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chain drill it is. It was primarily used with twist drill bits that fit a hand brace instead of auger bits. It was used as a power feed and worked amazingly well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts