Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been discussed before, but just take a look at that thing.

This plastic "thing" was attached to the power cord on my DeWalt router. I got tired of looking at it and broke it off with pliers and a screwdriver.

It is nothing more than an anti-theft device. :surprise:

Looking around, I see two more on my Bosch 1617 routers. They will be removed in short order.

Thought you might be interested in what that little module is. Definitely not something that will damage your corded power tool.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
I'll be dammed . I thought they had ceramic disks inside that had something to do with the power ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I removed mine a few years back also, Mike. I had never thought about it until it was mentioned here. Both my Bosch's, and Dewalt's are free. I don't plan on stealing them from myself, anytime soon.

Ellery "Bud" Becnel

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes seeing something like that, I'd have guessed it would contain a ferrite choke, to block radio frequency interference. But clearly it contains no such thing!

·
Registered
Paul
1,863 Posts
I thought they were filters too! There's no carbon looking things in there?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The purchasing agent gets a kickback from the plastic molder- vacations in Nassau, expensive booze and women. :x

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike I would email corporate and see what they say about that
They would probably ask me if I stole those routers, and I would have to say no, but I know who did, and he is snowed in if'n you want to go by there and pick him up! :grin::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
I would have thought that the plastic is mixed with Ferrite powder forming an RF filter.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Maybe it has a similar function to the tag that they put om mattresses. Maybe they are expanding the role of the "mattress police" to increase their inspection and arrest capabilities if you remove it.

(just joking)

Charley

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I never had the foggiest idea what those silly things were, but I did wonder sometimes. Mine will be biting the dust next time I go to use any of them. Maybe the company would like to give us a refund if we return them...kinda like pop bottles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts