Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
A local festool dealer told me that a router with 8mm. collet can't operate saftly a bit with long shaft and a diameter 20-25mm. I felt that he just wants to sell me an
Festool OF 1400 EBQ-PLUS with 711€. What is the biggest cylinder-shape bit with longer shaft that can be operated with an Elu mof96e?

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's Pat, Charles and Neville for your information. It's easy to keep in mind that a router is a machine that has to be handled with care. It's difficult to forget sush a matter when you have a very very sharp bit spinning near your most precious at a speed of max. 27000rpm.
Even I mostly use pine I still make light passes. Propably something like 3-5mm. maximum.
I have a second machine. It's labeld Biltema. As a sheap machine, 50€ as new, it works fine in my use. I understand it can't be as good as my old Elu.
Festool and blue bosch are the most expencive. Triton is yotaly unknown here.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello guys.
From your question Charles rises a new Q. I'm making lapjoints to 2x4" or 4x4" with the router. I'm having an extended base or a XL base for the router so I have enough support for it. I'd rather use some thin material but I only had 15mm water ply. To be able to make flush joints I need to go 2" down, yes? So, 15mm&2" is
about 2 1/2" or 65mm. Shurly 3mm steel plate would be a better solution.

I understand all the if's and but's (my english is funny with all the faults but I know what I am doing and I know woodworking tools. I comleted my education in 1992). At the moment I just can't walk to the store and buy everything I need. Besides tools are quite expencive here in Finland.

Thank's for all the good advices and specially I'll keep in mind not to touch the spinning bit.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here in Finland you get what you pay for. If you buy 2x4" you get 2x4" or 50x100mm. I just spoke with a man who sells timber/lumber. Here the mill must count extra when they saw wood. So when the wood shrinks when it will get dry the dimensiones are just that what you think they are/it is. When I buy 2x7" it is just that and not 44x160 or something else.
Before I start routing I measure the piece so I know. But. This is basic woodworking.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello.
Your reply to the measures got me thinking Charles an I found something.
"Lumber is measured in the rough sawn condition..."
Same here. It's someware here: http://www.smy.fi/smy/Materiaalitdeve.nsf/Images/261B800BB3A6C101C2257132003B0C13/$file/PuustaJalosteeksi0_new.pdf
But basicly: In structures the tolerance of the measures in 20% humidity are -1...+3mm.
(Rakenteissa käytettävän sahatavaran sallitut mittapoikkeamat 20 % kosteudessa ovat –1...+3 mm tai –2...+4 mm, jos nimellismitta on yli 100 mm [SFS-EN 336]. Sahatavarastandardin SFS-EN 1313-1 mukaan sallitut mittapoikkeamat ovat –1...+3 mm tai –1...+4 mm, jos nimellismitta on yli 100 mm.) So if I buy 50x100mm it can be at minimum either 49x99mm. or 53x103mm.

"Then the boards were planed..."
If I buy planed 2x4"/50x100mm I could as well burn money in a stow. I would get one meter of 45x95mm. for 2.39 euros.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
During the time I have been a member on routerforums it seems to me that only few of you guys understand my language or I don't understand what you are refering to...

"Esko there is one trick regarding that high speed cutter, as a professional then I don't mind passing this trade secret on to you, "when it is spinning then don't touch it with your fingers" do that and do the light cuts until you get the hang of it and you will be fine, Neville"

Even my english isn't any good it doesn't mean I don't understand what I'm asking or was it just humor I didn't understand?

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"Then the boards were planed..."
If I buy planed 2x4"/50x100mm I could as well burn money in a stow. I would get one meter of 45x95mm. for 2.39 euros

You mentioned earlier about ruff conditions and then they are planed to 38x89mm...
In Finland the timber that is used in constructions is sawn and the measure limits are what I posted earlier. The price for it is about 1e/m. If I wish to buy 2x4" with the axact measure it is not planed but sawn to it's exact measure. But If you really wich your timber is planed you get 45x95mm and pay very much extra for it. 2.39e/m is in my opinion expencive. I was only thinking of the different ways our countrys produce timber. I understod that your basic timber is allways planed. is it?

I have a feeling that you Canadians understand me. I think you Charles and I have had a good conversation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.