Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming home this morning and driving through Winder, Georgia (next town up), I stopped-by a local thrift store. It has proven to be a great place for gadgets and because everything sold was donated by others - the prices are crazy cheap.

Today, I came-up with this interesting find. I have no clue what this is. Often when Joy gets home, she can immediately recognize something as a kitchen gizmo - which this may be, but I wanted to see if any of you recognize it. I honestly have no idea of its intended purpose!

Thanks for any input, Whenever I see something that arouses my curiosity, I buy it (within reason, of course) and take it home and try to learn from it. This gadget is made of good, sturdy white plastic, except for a couple of steel bolts and (obviously) a couple of internal springs.

Thanks again,

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...and MARCEL got it right! Joy got home and said, "That is a slicing guide for cutting a loaf of bread" I said, "Wouldn't that make really skinny slices of bread?" Joy replied, "You wouldn't have to use every slot - dumbo". She's right, again - as usual. This morning I told her I was feeling really good and was in a good mood. She said, "What's the matter - do you think it's a chemical imbalance?" I can't get ANY respect!

Thanks Marcel!

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Otis,
My guess was going to be a collapsible dish drying rack for thin dishes.
Your house sounds like mine.

·
Registered
628 Posts
...and MARCEL got it right! Joy got home and said, "That is a slicing guide for cutting a loaf of bread" I said, "Wouldn't that make really skinny slices of bread?" Joy replied, "You wouldn't have to use every slot - dumbo". She's right, again - as usual. This morning I told her I was feeling really good and was in a good mood. She said, "What's the matter - do you think it's a chemical imbalance?" I can't get ANY respect!

Thanks Marcel!
You're welcome. I can't imagine why anyone would buy one of those. What's wrong with developing a few knife skills? Too little drawer space too many useless gadgets. :no:

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
You're welcome. I can't imagine why anyone would but one of those. What's wrong with developing a few knife skills? Too little drawer space too many useless gadgets. :no:
Waking up early in the morning, and using knife skills to cut homemade bread will result in some wierd looking slices. I wouldn't buy one tho, I'd make one - out of wood. And a clue for you young uns, to properly cut a loaf of bread, you use a bread knife, not a butcher knife. A bread knife has serrated teeth, to saw the bread, and not squash it. Ah, nothing like the heel of a fresh, hot, loaf of bread, slathered with butter - real butter, not this artificial stuff. Used to get that from my great-grandmother, about 2" thick. Yumm.

My grandparents had a bread slicer, and a bread knife, but not sure if it had one slot, like the first one, or many, like the second. In reality, all you need is one slot, to guide the knife, and just move the bread with each cut. Plenty easy to make your own, and MUCH less expensive then buying one.

Attachments

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
628 Posts
Waking up early in the morning, and using knife skills to cut homemade bread will result in some wierd looking slices. I wouldn't buy one tho, I'd make one - out of wood. And a clue for you young uns, to properly cut a loaf of bread, you use a bread knife, not a butcher knife. A bread knife has serrated teeth, to saw the bread, and not squash it. Ah, nothing like the heel of a fresh, hot, loaf of bread, slathered with butter - real butter, not this artificial stuff. Used to get that from my great-grandmother, about 2" thick. Yumm.
Bravo. My wife makes bread on a regular basis and there is nothing like it on the supermarket shelves. Home churned butter makes it even better!!

http://youtu.be/flZbgKUAC80

http://youtu.be/z9x8YVrNtI4

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Bravo. My wife makes bread on a regular basis and there is nothing like it on the supermarket shelves. Home churned butter makes it even better!!
After I watched those videos, seems to me I saw the bread cutter, somewhere other than my grandparents. Now I recall that they had a round bread board. Been a long time. Home churned butter is great, as long as it's someone else doing the churning. If you don't have a cow, the handiest I think I ever saw was a glass jug, with a top that screwed on with a crank and blades you hand cranked to make butter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FKnwmncpQ They've probably got some electric version now. The first homemade bread my ex baked was like a large round brick, I don't think even the birds could eat that. After about the third one she got excellent results. Strange, because anything else in the world she could cook fantastic.

·
Registered
628 Posts
After I watched those videos, seems to me I saw the bread cutter, somewhere other than my grandparents. Now I recall that they had a round bread board. Been a long time. Home churned butter is great, as long as it's someone else doing the churning. If you don't have a cow, the handiest I think I ever saw was a glass jug, with a top that screwed on with a crank and blades you hand cranked to make butter. Lehman's Butter Churn Demo - YouTube They've probably got some electric version now. The first homemade bread my ex baked was like a large round brick, I don't think even the birds could eat that. After about the third one she got excellent results. Strange, because anything else in the world she could cook fantastic.
Bread making is as much science as it is art. It takes a while to get the technique correct and different breads need various techniques to make them with the texture and flavor that one would expect from an artisan bread. That is why baking is a very different animal from cooking. Precise measurements and baking procedures are very important. As for butter, you are under a mis-apprehension. Butter is very easy to make at home and is delicious. You don't need a cow just a market or, like us, a nearby dairy farm. I have made compound butter in this manner and it tastes wonderful. Here is a video should you like to try to make plain butter.

Daniel Patterson Butter-Making Demo - YouTube

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Butter is very easy to make at home and is delicious. You don't need a cow just a market or, like us, a nearby dairy farm. I have made compound butter in this manner and it tastes wonderful. Here is a video should you like to try to make plain butter.

Daniel Patterson Butter-Making Demo - YouTube
I think you may have misunderstood me. When I made butter, it was around 60, yes sixty, years ago, and the churn was hand powered. THAT is why butter is not easy to make, not the technique. And then put it in a butter mold, using butter paddles, and a butter stamp when it came out of the mold. And, if you really want to make butter, learn to milk a cow by hand - now that is an art. And squirting milk to the barn cats was the only way I think I've ever seen to get a cat to fall over backwards. Loads of fun.
And it was not just a case of them falling backwards because they were getting wet, you'd raise the stream until they were standing on their hind legs to keep catching the milk in their mouth, and raise it high enough, back they'd go. And get right up and be ready to repeat, they did love that fresh milk. That was part of the ritual of milking, always give the barn cats a large bowl of milk.

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Official Greeter
19,750 Posts
In my day, we had to slice bread without any jigs or fixtures......LOL.

Fresh bread delivered to the door each day, still warm from the bakery.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I think the best bread I have ever eaten was in Turkey. There was a bakery close to us, I think all they made was bread, they only sold it in the morning, and there was always a line, buying bread. Had a small window in a wall you bought your bread thru. Take it home, still warm, wonderful. They did something different than we do, maybe left something out, because if left out it would always be moldy on the second day. You could put it in the fridge, and it would be still be great for toast the next day, but it would still get moldy by the third day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just returned from Norway where you can find a large selection of good tasting, fresh bread on the market shelves. It comes double wrapped, the outer bag is paper with printing, the inner plastic. Remove the bread from the wrappers, place loaf on arm of slicing machine, press button and bread is sliced. Slide plastic bag over loaf and arm. Remove loaf and bag from arm and secure open end, slide this bag into the paper bag . Takes about 30 seconds. Pick up some butter, brunost (brown cheese), jam (preferably cloud berry) and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! I think I've inadvertantly found a subject many of us are more passionate about than our routers - eating freshly baked bread! I'm needing to quit reading these comments, though; it is making me HUNGRY!

Just yesterday someone asked if I was "having a boy or a girl?" My reply was, "We don't know yet - but we hope it is healthy"!

You guys are TOO MUCH!

Otis

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
And a clue for you young uns, to properly cut a loaf of bread, you use a bread knife, not a butcher knife. A bread knife has serrated teeth, to saw the bread, and not squash it. Ah, nothing like the heel of a fresh, hot, loaf of bread, slathered with butter - real butter, not this artificial stuff. Used to get that from my great-grandmother, about 2" thick. Yumm.
Theo
I will agree with you on the heel it’s the pest piece there is and with REAL butter you know the kind made in a crock churn, and a plunger (no crank). I think you grew up on the same farm I did, the cats love you forever.

You really need to sharpen your knives though. If you cant slice bread with them they aint sharp. My wife has been on me for months to sharpen the knives. I had been using Arkansas stones to sharpen them, not any more. A 16X16” flat cut piece of marble and wet sandpaper. The water holds the paper to the marble. Start with #300 and work your way up to #3000, then strop it on wet leather. You can slice bread with it, I didn’t believe it till my wife showed me. Now I’m her hero!!
:wub:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood me. When I made butter, it was around 60, yes sixty, years ago, and the churn was hand powered. THAT is why butter is not easy to make, not the technique. And then put it in a butter mold, using butter paddles, and a butter stamp when it came out of the mold. And, if you really want to make butter, learn to milk a cow by hand - now that is an art. And squirting milk to the barn cats was the only way I think I've ever seen to get a cat to fall over backwards. Loads of fun.
And it was not just a case of them falling backwards because they were getting wet, you'd raise the stream until they were standing on their hind legs to keep catching the milk in their mouth, and raise it high enough, back they'd go. And get right up and be ready to repeat, they did love that fresh milk. That was part of the ritual of milking, always give the barn cats a large bowl of milk.
Indeed I did misunderstand. Sounds like a great memory. :yes2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.