Router Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just returned from Norway where you can find a large selection of good tasting, fresh bread on the market shelves. It comes double wrapped, the outer bag is paper with printing, the inner plastic. Remove the bread from the wrappers, place loaf on arm of slicing machine, press button and bread is sliced. Slide plastic bag over loaf and arm. Remove loaf and bag from arm and secure open end, slide this bag into the paper bag . Takes about 30 seconds. Pick up some butter, brunost (brown cheese), jam (preferably cloud berry) and enjoy.
This is much like my introduction to fresh bread when I was a boy. We had no inner plastic bag though just a paper bag. We didn't do the packaging or the slicing because the baker had an assistant to do that for us but I would watch her behind the counter. Now you can get similar experience at a restaurant chain store called Panera Bread.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Room temperature cream, clean jar with lid and SHAKE.

I tell my co-workers who get skiddish about their new job and lose their confidence, "Have you ever made butter?".

Then I explain that a new job is like that jar of cream. Everything is a jumble and doesn't make sense. But your brain is at work in the background making those logical connections. And then just like the cream in the jar, FLOP!! One day it all makes sense just like the blob of butter in the jar.

Then I ask them about their previous jobs and have them recall how the pattern was the same back them. Confusion, some confidence loss and then one day: FLOP, and it starts making sense.

Of course I have to tell most of them that cream shaken turns eventually to butter.
Telling them that metaphor story always brightens their confidence!

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Theo
I will agree with you on the heel it’s the pest piece there is and with REAL butter you know the kind made in a crock churn, and a plunger (no crank). I think you grew up on the same farm I did, the cats love you forever.
I was always told that only a goat would eat the heel of a loaf of bread. Not sure if they meant human kids eat like goats or what. And, yeah, I've used a plunger and crock churn too. I'd rather go with the hand crank on a jar.

And, I didn't grow up on a farm. Had relatives with farms tho. Have driven a team while haying, that's with men forking the hay on the wagon by hand. Driven a team haying with men picking up hay bales by hand and putting them on the wagon, and then one or two stacking the bales, have also stacked the bales. And learned how to milk by hand. And have hand cranked more than one ice cream machine too, good stuff.

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Official Greeter
19,750 Posts
I was always told that only a goat would eat the heel of a loaf of bread. Not sure if they meant human kids eat like goats or what. And, yeah, I've used a plunger and crock churn too. I'd rather go with the hand crank on a jar.

And, I didn't grow up on a farm. Had relatives with farms tho. Have driven a team while haying, that's with men forking the hay on the wagon by hand. Driven a team haying with men picking up hay bales by hand and putting them on the wagon, and then one or two stacking the bales, have also stacked the bales. And learned how to milk by hand. And have hand cranked more than one ice cream machine too, good stuff.
I have been the guy on the ground picking up and throwing the bales onto the truck....:)

Reactions: Roy Drake

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just bake a loaf that fits in a miter box, then you can even slice your bread @ 45 degrees or 90 degrees :)
Glenn! First let me say "Welcome to the Router Forums", but Secondly I must ask you a question... that 45* or 90*...are you talking 45* Fehrenheit or Celsius? Same question on the 90* F or C? Just curious because I don't want to eat my bread too hot or too cold, but I do think butter will spread really good at 90*C!

Thanks again, you guys made me laugh so loud it woke-up my wife!

Otis

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Theo
You got my goat or I am the goat. . . :jester: Your one up on me, I haven’t driven a team.

Been around horses, rode the fence line and a few other things but we never owned them. Hay bails? Done more than my share of that, I think I still could keep up with the youngins doing that. There are not many who bail anymore mostly the big rolls. I made a pretty good living during the summers bailing hay when I was in school. Ice cream hand crank churn, that’s another thing of the past.

I do remember the hand crank phones though. They have them for cell phones here in Japan for when the electricity is out.
Steve

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I do remember the hand crank phones though. They have them for cell phones here in Japan for when the electricity is out.
Steve
Wow! Now THAT (hand crank cell phones) would really be dangerous here in Georgia - where there is a big problem with people texting and driving! It's bad enough when someone texts and drives - but can you imagine if they were texting and cranking and driving? I get a really funny mental image here.

It is bad enough that people TALK on their cell phones while driving, but over many years and miles of driving - I've seen things that top that off! We've all seen ladies putting-on lipstick and makeup, but I've seen a man brushing his teeth!..and another man was putting-on deodorant while driving! Women breast-feeding their babies while driving is one of my personal favorites (when they switch "outlets")!..and a couple of times I've seen the driver and passenger CHANGE PLACES while driving!

I saw something (that to me was even funnier)...I was gassing-up my pickup truck, while a guy just across from me was using the "sponge/squeege on a stick" (intended to use on windshields) to wash his ENTIRE CAR!

Later,
Otis

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wow! Now THAT (hand crank cell phones) would really be dangerous here in Georgia - where there is a big problem with people texting and driving! It's bad enough when someone texts and drives - but can you imagine if they were texting and cranking and driving? I get a really funny mental image here.

It is bad enough that people TALK on their cell phones while driving, but over many years and miles of driving - I've seen things that top that off! We've all seen ladies putting-on lipstick and makeup, but I've seen a man brushing his teeth!..and another man was putting-on deodorant while driving! Women breast-feeding their babies while driving is one of my personal favorites (when they switch "outlets")!..and a couple of times I've seen the driver and passenger CHANGE PLACES while driving!

I saw something (that to me was even funnier)...I was gassing-up my pickup truck, while a guy just across from me was using the "sponge/squeege on a stick" (intended to use on windshields) to wash his ENTIRE CAR!

Later,
Otis
ROFL at your post and mental image. On the serious side likely everything you mentioned had happened in the middle of Atlanta on I75 at 80+mph. Now that is one crazy place. I usually set my speed control 2-3 mile over the limit and cruse. BUT Atlanta is not the place to go by the speed limit. Like a good (stupid in this case) citizen, I slowed down to the speed limit. People were literally rattling my doors passing me. I decided I better speed up and go with the flow 75mph in a 50mph (or was it 45) and that was in the slow lane. The radar cops were just sitting there. Likely if I had not increased the speed I would have received a ticked for impeding traffic. Atlanta is one place where I speed.

Oh you forgot to mention the dummies in the passenger seats (maybe drivers too) so they can use the car pool lane.

The squeegee car wash thing is popular in Japan I see it all the time, wonder about the paint though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Besides a little woodworking one of my pastimes is making bread. I know a farmer who gives me high protein wheat in return for an occasional loaf of bread. Another who gives me rye with the same deal. A brewer who gives me a little malted barley, same deal. Last Tuesday I made the best whole wheat bread I've ever made and a batch of Danish pumpernickel that is pretty good too. I've slowed down in the hot weather but I normally bake at least once a week. I stone grind the grain and start from scratch and the whole wheat recipe is only in my head. I use a large Bosch mixer so I mix 4 loaves at a time. 8 cups of fresh whole wheat flour, 4 cups of white unbleached bread flour, 2 or 3 packets of instant yeast, (that is also 2 or 3 tablespoons if you buy yeast in large packages) 2 tablespoons of barley malt, 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, 6 tablespoons of melted shortening. Mix, knead in the mixer, let rise to doubled, lightly knead down and quarter, form loaves and let rise until again doubled and bake for 45 min at 360. The rye is a little more complicated but not much. The bread is good enough that I have enough wheat for more than year of baking and enough rye for two years. Cant get much cheaper than that. The only science I use in bread baking is the malt powder and that is because high protein wheat just won't brown nicely unless you add the malt powder. I'd share if I could.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.