Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get an answer from anyone and I just started milling this stuff tonight...I know this isn't what this forum is for but as a lurker on this site I'm well aware someone here will know.. thanks in advance
Brown Wood Plant Beige Pattern
i

·
Official Greeter
19,948 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Is it some spalted timber?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't get an answer from anyone and I just started milling this stuff tonight...I know this isn't what this forum is for but as a lurker on this site I'm well aware someone here will know.. thanks in advance View attachment 400667 i
Looks like some beautiful spalted Maple. Makes for some very nice jewelry boxes, picture frames, displays etc...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't get an answer from anyone and I just started milling this stuff tonight...I know this isn't what this forum is for but as a lurker on this site I'm well aware someone here will know.. thanks in advance View attachment 400667 i
And actually if you want to create this all you have to do is lay the maple logs on the ground with
sawdust in between the logs and keep it extra moist for a year or two and you will have spalted maple.
You have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't just rot away on you too.
We had a guy up here that had close to 2500 bft of the stuff that I bought. I took it and donated it to our woodworking guild and it sold like wild fire. lol. Now some of the guys bring projects in from time to time made from it. Beautiful
pieces with a clear natural finish.
Hope you make something to share here, I'd love to see it.
Sad part of our supply is I only keep about 75 bft. and wishing I had more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just saw this and was going to ask what exactly you were working with. But, I now see the answers. “ Spalted” is something I’ve heard of but knew nothing about. Thank you. I look at tons of images of guitar woods. Somewhere I’ve seen something like this . I think it was a type of ebony. But, reading the replies, I’m now more interested. Also, hearing about the dangers makes me want that new vacuum much more now!
Tim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Spalted wood is traditionally something that’s been found, not produced. It’s like the equivalent of finding truffles in the forest. It's a stage of decay. It is rare and precious.
It's along the lines of Blue tinged pine we get out here in the West. It's from logging trees that were killed by the pine beetles. And is clear cut at super cheap prices from the State and Federal govs

Strange part is the stuff sells for a premium over regular pine. Go figure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry I just got this. I totally agree it is spalted wood. It may be maple. My one comment is WEAR A MASK WHEN MILLING THIS. THE SPALTING IS DUE TO MOLD. IF THE MOLD GETS IN YOUR LUNGS YOU COULD BE IN REAL BIG TROUBLE.
yes you are absolutely right on wearing a mask for machining that and pretty much a good idea to use a filtering system in your shop too so as to pick up the air born particles that will settle and get stirred up pretty much anytime you start a machine. Even if its a box fan and filters it all helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And actually if you want to create this all you have to do is lay the maple logs on the ground with
sawdust in between the logs and keep it extra moist for a year or two and you will have spalted maple.
You have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't just rot away on you too.
We had a guy up here that had close to 2500 bft of the stuff that I bought. I took it and donated it to our woodworking guild and it sold like wild fire. lol. Now some of the guys bring projects in from time to time made from it. Beautiful
pieces with a clear natural finish.
Hope you make something to share here, I'd love to see it.
Sad part of our supply is I only keep about 75 bft. and wishing I had more.
Wish I belonged to your guild then ;-)​

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had small log of River Birch with the same markings. For what I wanted the wood for I didn't like the marking nor do I like "truffles". LOL
For sure and in birch it tends to be rotten at this point. Maple is a much denser wood so does not rot nearly as quick. this wood is not for everyone lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd almost be tempted to put a frame around this board and hang it on my wall!!
Well it certainly WOOD look sharp lol. Like I mentioned I did some frames with it and it really speaks for it's self.
Spalted Maple is beautiful. But you got to like it. It's not for everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.