Router Forums banner

What is wrong with my router?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  TenGees 
#1 ·
Hello.

Maybe somebody could give me a clue how to fix a router, a Bosch Gof 1300.

At upstarting there comes a scratching sound, quite hard, can feel in the body of the router, and immediately there issues some smoke.
I have replaced the lower bearing, although it seemed fine, but this did not help.
The upper bearing seems fine, runs smooth when I turn it, there are no marks on it or the house where it runs.
There are no scratches on the copper windings or inside the plastic housing, no signs of friction that I can see.

Anybody have a clue? Thanks.:crying:

#3 ·
Does the smoke start in the first couple of seconds, or after it runs for a minute or two? Are the brushes worn or the springs that push them in damaged? Could you have gotten some lubricant or cleaner in the motor windings when you replaced the bearing? Are all the housing parts, bolts, screws, wire nuts, etc. tight and in place? Is any small part rubbing against a moving part? Any damage, scratches, debris in the motor's windings? Wiring smoke has a distinctive smell, is that what you smell? If you run it this way, does the fuse blow on that house circuit? Is there a short in the on/off switch? Does the speed control work? Any sign of a short on the speed control circuit, burned spots for example? If you take it apart and sniff the different parts, does one have a stronger aroma of smoke than the others? Are there any burned or melted spots where the power cord attaches to the router? Sometimes a stray strand or two of braided wire will short out Is there any lateral movement or play in the motor shaft, particularly at the end where the old bearing is located? All these things are where I'd start trouble shooting.

#11 ·
I have checked most of your points, and cannot find any of the specific symptoms, except the brushes are quite worn, though the springs seem ok.
Can this cause smoke and scratching? The smoke starts immediately, seem to come from the top. I have smelled here and there,
but cannot establish the specific point.

#9 ·
I agree that the smoke may signal the end for the router but check the brushes first. If you can feel something rubbing while turning the shaft by hand then try turning it with the brushes removed. If you still feel it rubbing you could try taking the armature out and look for wear marks.

Reactions: TenGees
#13 ·
did you use WD40 or other spray lube on the router???

#14 ·
The insulation on the motor wiring is a type of lacquer I think so if the smoke smells something like that then it's done for. Like Dan said, electrical arcing is more of an ozone smell and the two are different.

Reactions: DaninVan
#15 ·
I got a Makita corded drill given to me because it groaned and had little strength. It was the brushes. I think that could be your problem. If you have run it quite a bit, in that condition, you may have scorch marks in the com (where the brushes ride). That may need to be cleaned up. My drill has worked like new for a few years and the fix was under $3 (and a new emory board).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.