Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of finish do you use for your pens. I'm currently using Hut finish in a bottle. Don't seem to shine on some woods that I used. Currently turning black walnut, red, and white oak, and hard maple. Don't what to get to exotic just want to use the wood that I have availble. Was thinking though for the maple I seen at wood crafters they have the colored finishes that you see people using for bowls you know red, blue, green and so on wonder what it do for a pen. What would be your opion on it give it a go or let it alone. :rolleyes:

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hi Glenmore. I have used spray lacquer and also wiped on deft lacquer. I use it only on rare occasions due to it's toxity and the fumes involved. My primary finish is Enduro Water Based Poly. I apply it per the following link, where I also buy it in the small bottles. I have done about 20 pens with this kit and about out.
http://beartoothwoods.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=298

Most penturners start looking at other options when they get tired of the shine on the friction polishes fades rather quickly with much handling. I have seen guys use wipon oil poly's as well with good sucess. the key is giving each finish the time to cure prior to any sanding or micro mesh ( I highly recommend if you haven't gotten any yet), you won't believe the difference and lasts a long time.

Hope this helps,
Corey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts