Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I got this wood from my wood supplier who got it from their supplier and no one knows what it is. First I thought that it was pau ferro, but it seems to heavy. One of the pieces is 20mm x 100mm x 350mm and weighs 900g. That makes a specific gravity of 1,285 at the current moisture content, wich is around 10-12%.
The pieces in the pictures, including the mallet, are all natural, no finish is applied.
Does anyone have a clue what this could be?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Goncalo Alves? (Also known as Tiger Wood or Jobillo.)

Same coloring and grain structure as Cocobolo and Pau Ferro...

But Pau Ferro is 55 lbs/ft3 (880 kg/m3). Cocobolo is 67 lbs/ft3 (1,070 kg/m3). Goncalo Alves is 62 lbs/ft3 (995 kg/m3) and matches the closest to your pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it could definately be Goncalo Alves. Most features seem correct. It's just the weight that doesn't make sense. My boards ar too dense. A piece of this wood will sink like a rock in water. On the other hand, I read somewhere that the specific gravity of Goncalo Alves can differ greately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tiger wood id say, take it to home depot or lowes and look at it next to a piece of their tiger wood flooring and see if it looks like it. without having a visiual to compare it too, its hard to tell, esp. by comparing weights and moisture content. does it seem to be treated with anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your thoughts guys!
I live in Sweden so I can't visit Home Depot or Lowes and I've never come across any of those species in Swedish flooring shops. I still think that Tiger Wood/Goncalo Alves is the most likely alternative as the appearance is extremely close. I also read somwhere that the weight of Goncalo Alves could range between 50-80 lbs/cu.ft, even though the guy who wrote it didn't really believe that it would get as heavy as that. His pieces usually stayed around 60 lb/cu.ft.
80 lb/cu.ft would actually match my meassurements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
These Species are new for new....and thank you Guys for the info you gave about Tiger Wood. Hope it will sure come handy when i need it the most.
Thanks a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts