Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Laguna 2'X3' iQ benchtop CNC router and need to make a table. What is the table height you recommend. I think the height of the IQ from the bottom of the IQ's feet to the top of the bed is approximately 9". THis would mean that if I make a table height of 30", the working surface would be 39 inches off the floor. Is this too low?

Next, if think the clear length and width of the IQ is 39½ inches wide by 50½ inches long. I think this means that the table surface should be approximately 42" wide by 60" long?

I am assuming that the controller can mount on a separate small table or mount under the IQ? I am also assuming that the water bucket goes under the table?

I am also assuming that the table should be able to handle 500 pounds and be very stiff so there is no vibration as the gantry moves?

Does anyone have any more data for the table size that will help me? Can anyone supply plans I can look at and use?

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jim! Hope you enjoy your new Laguna CNC and that you post a lot of photos for us to share in your new acquisition story.

About all I can offer is that I built mine to handle about 600 lbs. and you can see it here - 2nd Build (first) - CNC Router

·
Registered
265 Posts
if you view the underside of your cnc, specifically where the feet, or resting members of the structure are - that is where you need to build the strength into your table. it can actually be open in the middle. most important is that the legs are well supported to prevent the table from racking.

sinice you may be spending time standing up against the cnc/table, maybe consider a toe kick opening where your feet can be under the table for comfort.

height is a personal thing, wherever works best for you.

like David said, we are looking forward to seeing your projects!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful info. The foot relief is a good idea! I hadn't thought about a center opening. I am raising the table up a little so I don't have to stoop to change out bits (I'm tall). I think, for now, that I'm not installing castors. I am probably going to over-design the table as I'm worried about weight and stability ... and ... yeah ... in absence of data ... over-design it. ...
Here is the current planning.
Update for the 2'X3' IQ outer moldline: 39½ inches wide by 56 (not 50.5) inches long
CNC Table current design is 36" tall by 42" wide by 60" long
Controller table will use a roll around cabinet that has drawers to house the bits and other needed stuff
The coolant water bucket will go under the table.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
G;day Jim, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Jim Porter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts