Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends,

I recently sold my motorhome and car dolly, so I have a few $ to spend. The first thing I want is a new router to mount in my table. I am leaning towards a Bosch. I think it is the 1617 or if someone can suggest the proper numbers I would appreciate it. The next thing I am considering is a ceiling mounted dust filter. Again looking for recommendations. My shop is about 18.5' x 24' and the ceiling id about 8' 3''. I have been looking at used radial saws and I'd really like one but no room. I have a table saw and a mitre saw and a band saw so I guess I can do without the radial saw. I just thought I could leave my dado blades in it and not have to set them up every time in the T/S. I'm not ready to take the plunge into CNC yet, but that might come. I see all the beautiful pieces made in these and I am getting more interested. Can you think of something else that I should be considering that I don't have ?

On another note, I have decided to close my woodworking school. I advertised 3 times during August for a fall course and no one appears interested. In a way it's a good thing, it will give me more time to do my stuff.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Dan; Bosch 1617EVSPK is the complete package, plunge base included. If you only want a fixed base for the table, it's a 1617 EVS.
I went that route and ended up having to buy the plunge base separately at probably twice the cost, after I decided that my 1619 was getting too heavy and I really liked the lighter 1617EVS...but I still don't like those glossy wooden knobs.
If it's really dedicated to a table installation, the plunge base is useless for that purpose. Yeh, I know some members recommend it, then go on to explain how you basically have to dismantle it to lock the springs out. I've yet to hear a logical reason for buying a piece of equipment then crippling it...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I think what you are looking for is the Bosch combo. Factory number is 1617EVSPK; Woodcraft #822704, if that is relevant. WC cost is $219.00. If you have any money left over, my birthday is next week. Hint! Hint!
Unit by itself is 1617EVS @$169.00.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
PC 7518 fixed speed...
external speed controller...
JessEm lift...
DO NOT get the speed control built in... they are junk...
change the OEM bearings to ceramic bearings right off...
the OEM bearing a real garbage...

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
I saw the 1617 EVSPK kit for about $160 earlier today. Can't recall where.

No question the 1617 is great, but for the table, I really prefer the Triton TRA001 for the table. It costs about the same as just a lift for the 1617. It's too heavy for freehand work for me, so I have 1617s for that purpose. The Triton has a full 1 hp over the Bosch.

I have a WEN hanging air filter in my shop and another in my garage shop. Very inexpensive (one was $99 at Walmart on sale), but exactly the same specks and unit as the Griz. About a third the price of the Jet, which has a bigger case, but same size motor, filters, etc. Has a remote to set lenght of run and fan speed. Works well.

Sorry to hear about the course. We have a big problem going to give courses in Canada. NAFTA is an expensive and tricky obstacle, even though we're the only ones consulting in the specialty in the whole world. We're not doing anyone out of a job. (sore subject)

Take a look at the Shark Guard or an overarm DC collector, anything to do with reducing stray sawdust is a good thing. Keep the rest tucked away or you'll spend it and it'll be gone when you find that perfect item.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow John I wish I could pay that for it !
Happy birthday in advance. LOL

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom it was a hard decision between the Bosch and the Triton. You are making me second guess myself. I'll see when I go to the stores to look before I buy.
The Wen from Walmart, is that from a store or online ? I have never seen any tools other than cordless drills and maybe a circ saw at Walmart here. I sure love that price !

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I sold my radial arm saw several years ago and have never missed it. A good sliding miter saw is a better option for most things. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Tom it was a hard decision between the Bosch and the Triton. You are making me second guess myself. I'll see when I go to the stores to look before I buy.
The Wen from Walmart, is that from a store or online ? I have never seen any tools other than cordless drills and maybe a circ saw at Walmart here. I sure love that price !
Online with free local store delivery. Bought several items from them. The online store has a lot of good tools online. I generally check the online stores these days and find good prices. If you find a low price, you can price match it at HD. The WEN tools I have are very good, and the air filter is so good I bought another. Turn it on for a couple of hours and the air is really clean. Hang from the ceiling in the middle of a wall so it sets up a circular circulation pattern. I don't dirct it toward the floor, who needs to stir that mess up. I also bought extra filters, although they are pretty common. You can blow out the filters with compressed air if you wish--just do it outside with a mask on.

The other thing about WalMart is the return policy is really great, and the boxes arrive in pretty good shape.

You aren't going to go wrong with the Bosch. I used mine in the table for some time. I bought a Rockler lift for the Bosch (and a motor only for the table) and didn't much like the lift (sold it to Herb). When replacement time came, I went for the Triton and really like it. I kept my two 1617s and keep one in the plunge the other in the fixed base.

Harry got me turned on to the Triton, and I thought it over for awhile because they had really bad distributors at the time. Now I own several Triton tools and like them all.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dan, I second both the Bosch 1617 and the Wen air filter. I've had the Bosch for a number of years and it's a very good router. I also have the Bosch Router table. It works but you can definitely do better.

I moved to a new home last summer and I have the Wen, ceiling mounted, in a one car garage. It works great and has really helped to cut down on the dust. I run it while I'm in the shop then set the timer for an hour or two when I leave, depending on how much saw dust I created that day. Like any dust collection system, they work better with clean filters so mount it so you can get to the input side easily.

I'd love to get into CNC but both price and space make that impossible. Actually, if I had the money I'd make the space. After all, who needs a dining room table :)

Sorry to hear about your woodworking school. Not a lot of the younger generation seem interested. I belong to a woodworking club here in Florida. We have around 100 members and an average meeting brings out 50 to 60+. I'd say 80% are older guys and gals with the rest from 20 to 60. Kind of sad.

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've seen the 1617 combo recently for $275 out west here. Bought it for my son for $299 2 years ago. I'd also give the big Triton a look if just for table. I can't remember any complaints from table users. I've had really good luck with a Hitachi M12V2 for table. It has a wider throat opening than the M12V or VE models and has above table adjustment capability. There are threaded plugs on the router base which allow easy removal of the springs.

The PC 7518 was and may still be the gold standard if you are installing a lift. Every lift maker designed their Model #1 around that router motor and some makers offer a motor only option to buy it (no base i.e.), but as Stick says and my experience with PC tools is that the bearings are cheap crap.

I looked at getting a Wen air filter but not as cheap up here. I'm guessing a King might be the same machine anyway.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
You can also find that Wen unit elsewhere, I got mine at Amazon for $120 and HomeDepot also sells it online. It works well and I do like the timer so it can run a while after you are finished for the day to clean the air of all the dust you stir up while in the shop. I have mine upstairs in my shop where I do finish work on small projects and usually run it for a while before I start finishing.

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Well I took the ''plunge'' yesterday and found the Bosch EV1617spk on sale at Reno-Depot (a subsidiary of Rona and now Lowes) for what I consider a good deal. I paid $231+ tax. I checked on line and found it less expensive than all the other sites and what I like is I was able to take a short drive and got it right away. I like to see and touch what I buy, not a big fan of the web site buying. I have been looking more at the air filters and I'm not sure if the 450 CFM at $219 is what I want ? If I expect much cleaner air, do I need the bigger units with over 1000 cfms to accomplish the task ? Of course they are in the $500 range and I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Maybe I'll check our local Kijjiji or Craig's list. So now all I have to do is turn that pile of wood into a router table. :)

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice Stick,

It seems to me that several members told me that PC is not what it used to be. If I need to change bearings and add a speed control and add a lift, that will become more than I want to spend. My mother was Scottish ! so I have been known to be a little frugal.

cheers,
Dan

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Here is a bit more info on the CFPM on the WEN filter.

Circulate the air in a 1000 square foot room up to 7.5 times per hour
- Three-speed operation flows air at a rate of 556, 702, or 1044 cubic feet per minute
- Includes a 1-micron filter and a 5-micron pre-filter, both of which can be easily replaced (or cleaned with compressed air)
- Programmable timer automatically shuts unit off after set number of minutes
- Remote control allows users to set timer, change speed and power the unit on and off from up to 26 feet away
Cost $126

The jet stats:
Cycles Per Minute (20' x 20' x 8') 19.58
Inner Filter Efficiency 1
Speeds 556, 702, 1044
Timer Settings 2, 4, 8
Motor Power (HP) 1/5
Cost $419 on Amazon

Inside, they are identical, so are the filters, and the price of filters is about the same, CFPM is the same. WEN dimensions are smaller than the Jet. That's about $290 more for the same stats. I think the Jet may have heavier steel, but this hands stationary from the ceiling and isn't likely to get any abuse.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom,
I decided on the Bosch because Triton was over $100 more and not many Triton dealers around here. I hope the Bosch will have enough power to do what I want. New doors for the kitchen cabinets, or complete new cabinets. I will check out the on line Walmart or Mallwart as some call it.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a used air cleaner on Kijjiji. I bought it today. It's a General International model 10600 c1m1.It does 700, 900, and 1250 CFMs. That should be plenty for my shop.

I saw a new on like this for over $600, and I paid only $250. It is much bigger than the picture but I'll hang it from the ceiling and not over my workbench. When I got it home I looked online and found the manual on General's website. The remote is not working ! I thought it was the battery but that 's not the case. Does anyone know what a thermal relay is ? does that affect the remote ?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 20 of 32 Posts