Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading this string reminds me that the one tool I would like to replace is my bench mounted drill press. A small one just doesn't have the reach. Back to cheap compromise not being adequate. I think Jet has a good unit. Any suggestions on good what would be a good choice.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Reading this string reminds me that the one tool I would like to replace is my bench mounted drill press. A small one just doesn't have the reach. Back to cheap compromise not being adequate. I think Jet has a good unit. Any suggestions on good what would be a good choice.
Try to avoid any DP with a table that has x slots to attach things to. That's probably going to jack then price up but you won't regret it in the long run. I have the 16.5 Delta and I don't recommend it and any that look like it are probably clones. The X makes it hard to position things under the chuck since the spacing between the arms of the X dictates where you go plus the underside of the edges aren't flat and there are flanges close to the edge so clamping and keeping clamps tight are hard.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Try to avoid any DP with a table that has x slots to attach things to. That's probably going to jack then price up but you won't regret it in the long run. I have the 16.5 Delta and I don't recommend it and any that look like it are probably clones. The X makes it hard to position things under the chuck since the spacing between the arms of the X dictates where you go plus the underside of the edges aren't flat and there are flanges close to the edge so clamping and keeping clamps tight are hard.
Not quite sure I follow what you mean Chuck, what slot pattern would be better? I got a drill press with X slots because I figured they would give a lot more flexibility in positioning drill vices of different sizes than parallel slots would, and it does seem to work out pretty well.
I agree about the incovenience of the ribs underneath the table though. I don't know how much money you have to spend to get a table that's flat underneath... they never show that angle in the catalogue pictures!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The Delta 20 (back when I bought the 16.5, don't know if they are still available) had T slots like a milling machine table. I don't know if they had a flat bottom but it wouldn't matter as much if the top is more usable. I have a cross slide vide, which is really handy for drilling accurate holes in small pieces and I had to mount it on a board so that I could mount the board on the table.

I guess part of my rant about the tables on the cheaper DPs is based on adding attachments but it can be over come by adding on a wooden table or two layer wooden table with one staying attached to the table and other(s) going on and off as needed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The Delta 20 (back when I bought the 16.5, don't know if they are still available) had T slots like a milling machine table. I don't know if they had a flat bottom but it wouldn't matter as much if the top is more usable. I have a cross slide vide, which is really handy for drilling accurate holes in small pieces and I had to mount it on a board so that I could mount the board on the table.
Oh I see, yes I have seen drill presses with T-slots. Only on commercial-grade machines north of £1000 though. I can see they would be much better. But out of my price range. The smaller, cheaper machines all seem to have through-slots, either parallel or diagonal.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Andy it just always seem I am frustrated by trying to attach anything to the X's. Maybe I just need to use more ingenuity. It just seems to me that they could more user friendly.

I think I'll move these posts to a new thread. I think it deserves it.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tend to buy new most of the time, so specific brand and model recommendations will work. However, on this tool I think I might dig around among used machines. I can see that there should be zero play in the quill or drive shaft (bearings worn). What else should I look for in a 110v machine? Looks like decent new machines begin around $600, which means used should start around $300. That sound about right.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
4-6" of quill travel would be nice.
And there is no substitute for electronic variable $peed, (VFD,3 phase).
I would not expect much machine for 3-600$ new or used.
Drilling 1" holes in 2 x 4's? Then nothing much matters.
But close order drilling requires a flat square table and fence.
<.003" total runout, VS and machine that doesn't vibrate.
A means for clamping the work is essential too.
What old drills are great? They must be re-built x reputable sources. But if done well, they pay for themselves 5x over.
Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Duro, & Wilton.
e.g.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I think finding one with a decent bearing is a good thing . Seems you hear about play in the Chuck with some models way to soon . I bought a General and have been happy so far , although I wonder why mine doesn't have a hole in the table ?
I always have to place a piece of material on the tables deck so the drill goes threw the material without hitting the cast iron

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I think finding one with a decent bearing is a good thing . Seems you hear about play in the Chuck with some models way to soon . I bought a General and have been happy so far , although I wonder why mine doesn't have a hole in the table ?
I always have to place a piece of material on the tables deck so the drill goes threw the material without hitting the cast iron

Rick this is just to good to pass up. >:)

You could always take the table to someone that has a drill press and have them drill a hole in it. :laugh2:

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Rick this is just to good to pass up. >:)

You could always take the table to someone that has a drill press and have them drill a hole in it. :laugh2:

I was thinking along those lines of maybe suggesting Rick drill one.

Rick, they do that because some people don't want a hole, and others only want a small hole, while others want a larger one.

Herb

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I was thinking along those lines of maybe suggesting Rick drill one.

Rick, they do that because some people don't want a hole, and others only want a small hole, while others want a larger one.

Herb
Ok I seriously wasn't aware of that , as this is the only drill press that I've seen that doesn't have one pre drilled .
Myself I prefer a small one

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's the type table I wish I had on my DP. The hole in my table only accommodates bits to about 1 1/2" and when it gets close I don't trust my chances of hitting it by accident with a Forstner or adjustable bit anyway so it's better to have the sacrificial surface on it. Plus the sacrificial surface helps prevent blowout when you drill. I don't really consider the hole any particular advantage or disadvantage.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0
1 - 20 of 47 Posts