Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of router bit should I use to make a speaker hole wider on my boat I understand I would need one that cuts fiberglass I am new to using a router and I don’t want to screw up so please help me on doing it correctly thanks

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: tomshelter094

·
Registered
38 Posts
What type of router bit should I use to make a speaker hole wider on my boat I understand I would need one that cuts fiberglass I am new to using a router and I don’t want to screw up so please help me on doing it correctly thanks
If you cannot use a template you might want to use a flush trim or template bit (depending of which direction you have access) with am undersize bearing.

You can build one in your own by just getting a new bearing for an existing one....or
12v Tools | Router Bits | Tape | Templates | Sets | Bearings | Adhesives these guys have sets specific for this purpose.

M

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If the hole needs to be perfectly round then you will need a template. Depending on where the cut will be made it may not be possible to do it with a router. It may be easier to attach a circle of wood to cover the existing hole with hot glue and use a jigsaw to cut the hole bigger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tony - welcome to the forum.
photos of your project may help with more accurate replies.
on a boat, nothing is as simple as we would like them to be.
for a speaker hole, in my opinion, it does not have to be perfectly round if you are going to insert a speaker then a cover on top of it - the hole will never be seen.
so some photos would help us help you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Carbide tip bit will work fine. If you just slightly enlarging freehand will be fine, if it's a lot cut it undersize about an 1/8" with a jig saw then use the router bit. If you can't use a jig saw cut it undersize with the router then come back and clean cut it to the line.
If you want it perfect you could make a template, as mentioned above, and tape it in place if there is room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts