Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

This will probably seem obvious to some...but can anyone identify this wood for me?

It came from an old bedframe that fell apart on me...so I resawed it to make a keepsake box. I have about 15 bd/ft of it left...not including the 4x4 posts.

It's fairly dense...but not too difficult to work and sand. My best guess is some form of Maple...the little swirls were slightly hollow after resaw...but they sanded perfectly flat. There is no stain on it as of yet...and I get almost a 'stripey' sheen when held sideways to the light.

anyone know?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Maple is generally whiter than that although the rest seems right. Maple will have "medullary rays" in the grain, if not on the face, then on the edge. That will be the dead giveaway.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Looks birds eye.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks a lot guys.

Guess I'll have to be careful to use this stuff well, considering how expensive it seems to be.

As to the red'ness...that's my fault...I added a little contrast in GIMP so the grain would be eaier to see...though there is still a slight redness in the 'real' world.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great discussion over wood....although I don't know much more about wood.......:D..........but best of luck to all to put such great knowledge here for me..........

----------------------------
G Plan furniture

·
Registered
39 Posts
Based on the description and the pic I would have to agree you have maple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like a Brazilian wood known as Hymenolobium petraeum, popular name, Angelim Pedra. Very hard and difficult to work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts