Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to make two of these golf ball display racks. Would you make the sides 1/2" or 3/4" thick? The shelves are going to be 1/2" thick. I am putting 1/2" dadoes in the sides and then covering them with a thin strip to hide the dadoes after the shelves are installed. Opinions appreciated.

100 Golf Ball Display Rack - Red Mahogany - GreatGolfMemories.com

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
First choice. Cut up the wood and make something useful.
Second choice. Make it to hold shotglasses.
Third choice. With the shelves glued or otherwise attached to the sides, don't see why 1/2" wouldn't work just fine. But I'd probably go with 3/4" anyway, just in case.

Actually, I don't know if I would put in a dado or not. What I would do is likely opt for the 1/2", then glue a curved glue stick under each shelf, and glued to the sides.
Bet that'd hold even without the dado.

But, after all, it is your project, so it is your call.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
I would go with 3/4" For dimensional look, 1/2"would be definitely strong enough, don't think it would looks as good though.

Reactions: Gaffboat

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First choice. Cut up the wood and make something useful.
Second choice. Make it to hold shotglasses.
Third choice. With the shelves glued or otherwise attached to the sides, don't see why 1/2" wouldn't work just fine. But I'd probably go with 3/4" anyway, just in case.

Actually, I don't know if I would put in a dado or not. What I would do is likely opt for the 1/2", then glue a curved glue stick under each shelf, and glued to the sides.
Bet that'd hold even without the dado.

But, after all, it is your project, so it is your call.
Theo I don't want to make something to hold shot glasses I want it to hold golf balls. I ain't making no stinking shot glass holder. :grin:

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
3/4 side, 1/2 inch shelf

Set the back in a rabbet to keep it square and put a couple of small screws or pins into the shelves from the back to keep them from sagging.

The top and bottom could look a little heavier with mouldings, etc.

100 golf balls are going to have a little weight.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
@Herb Stoops,

Are you making one that size? A hundred golf balls are heavy. I would go with 1/2" shelves, but a 3/4" frame, and a substantial backing, like good 1/4" plywood. 1/4" deep 1/2" wide dados in the side pieces to accept the shelves. Glue every joint. Yes, rabbet the frame for the back like Doug KP91 said.

Charley

·
Registered
188 Posts
3/4 side, 1/2 inch shelf

Set the back in a rabbet to keep it square and put a couple of small screws or pins into the shelves from the back to keep them from sagging.

The top and bottom could look a little heavier with mouldings, etc.

100 golf balls are going to have a little weight.
Just a bit over 10 lbs, each golf ball weighs 1.62 Oz, by regulation.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My daughters family collect golf balls from different colleges so she wants two of them. They will be her boys Christmas presents.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just a bit over 10 lbs, each golf ball weighs 1.62 Oz, by regulation.
Now, that's something that I had no idea about. The weight of a golf ball.
I knew about the fish at the bottom of the sea with headlights and a frog that breaths
through his butt, but the weight of a golf ball.
That is something.
I can't weight (wait) for someone to bring that up in conversation.
(Hey, anyone know how much a golf ball weighs?)
and I will be able to drop that bomb on them.
"Why sure, its 1.62 oz".
But, that's by regulation !!
Man... I can't weight, I mean wait.
Thanks Charles
David
hehehehe

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Theo, I made a similar rack for small paint bottles that I use for model building. I made it using 1/2" for the frame, 1/4" for the shelves and 1/4" plywood for the back. I dado'd the shelves and glued them at the ends as well as along the back edge. The rack is very sturdy and the shelves don't flex at all. I think the appearance is fine overall.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Now, that's something that I had no idea about. The weight of a golf ball.
I knew about the fish at the bottom of the sea with headlights and a frog that breaths
through his butt, but the weight of a golf ball.
That is something.
I can't weight (wait) for someone to bring that up in conversation.
(Hey, anyone know how much a golf ball weighs?)
and I will be able to drop that bomb on them.
"Why sure, its 1.62 oz".
But, that's by regulation !!
Man... I can't weight, I mean wait.
Thanks Charles
David
hehehehe
Now that indeed, is a weighty subject!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I made one for Lego figures. 3/4" sides with dado and then holes drilled through where the LED wires pass. The 3/4" sides are hollowed out to house wiring and lighting circuit board. Then the whole thing is wrapped in 1/4" boards to hide all that and give a nice finish.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.