1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
There are a number of places along both sides of the border that are only accessible from the other side.

Reactions: JFPNCM

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
Speaking of Canada... My brother just had his DNA tested and it turns out my mother's side of the family shares DNA with some very early settlers up north. We think of ourselves as French, but about 60 percent of our DNA is English, Western European, Scotish. About 30 percent Canadian and 10 percent this and that. Mothers side is Fortier. We know that her family was there at least around the Civil War era. I think I need to head North at some point.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
There's anouther thing I have to do to even watch what you have to do to go to Canada to get to Minnesota? Move to the USA as When I click on Play it says the up-loader has not made the video available in your country, so whatever it is that I had to do, its on the secret list. I'd be interested to know if any other Australians did get it to play. N

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There's anouther thing I have to do to even watch what you have to do to go to Canada to get to Minnesota? Move to the USA as When I click on Play it says the up-loader has not made the video available in your country, so whatever it is that I had to do, its on the secret list. I'd be interested to know if any other Australians did get it to play. N
I'm in Canada and it says it's not available here either. Maybe no one's watching it. At one time, long ago, people driving had to go through parts of the U.S. to get to western Canada because the roads north of Superior were quite iffy at best.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Video won't play for me in Canada, Neville. :O

·
Registered
235 Posts
When they talked about grocery shopping, it reminded me of what we do here one a month. We have a local grocery store in town, but can't afford to shop there, so 150 mile all day round trip to shop at Wally World.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When they talked about grocery shopping, it reminded me of what we do here one a month. We have a local grocery store in town, but can't afford to shop there, so 150 mile all day round trip to shop at Wally World.

CAD-Man
I wouldn't travel more than 10 miles to shop at Wally World. You figure in your gas, and time spent, might be able to afford to shop in the local store after all.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
191 Posts
The strangest one is the Haskell Free Library and Opera House in Quebec and Vermont that sits on the Canada-U.S. Border. There’s a line in the middle of a room which is the border between the two counties.

Closer to home for me is Campobello Island in New Brunswick where I live. To get there from Canada, we have to take two ferries – one from mainland New Brunswick to Deer Island, and then a second ferry to Campobello Island. But the island is connected to the mainland in Maine by a bridge, so you can drive there but you have to go through the US to get there.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
One a little closer to home, at least for me.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2012/02/strange-existence-point-roberts-washington/1265/

I've fished The Lake of the Woods but missed the "Angle".
One of my cousins worked as a sound man at a nightclub in Point Roberts for years. He lives in New Westminster, a municipality of the greater Vancouver metro area. I asked him once if he had a work visa from the US to work there and he said no. I said how do you manage that without one? He said they just turn a blind eye at the border. Point Roberts follows different rules it seems and I've heard similar stories about some of those other special crossings. Another place like Point Roberts is Hyder, Alaska. It's on the Portland Inlet between BC and Alaska. The only road access is from Stewart, BC. Otherwise it's by boat from the inlet. Stewart is already remote on it's own which makes Hyder even worse. However, I hear Hyder does a good business selling 190 proof Everclear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
@Cherryville Chuck

I recall from my time in Port Moody that the border crossing to Port Roberts was the busiest one on Friday and Saturday nights as the pubs were open at least 1 hour past closing time on the Canadian side.

Everclear does have some interesting properties. An elderly neighbor's pre-bed cocktail was a can of near beer and a shot of Everclear. Claimed he slept very well. Must not have bee to bad as he lived to be 90+ and healthy.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
The Customs guys (both sides) do not turn a blind eye in Hyder/Stewart, unlike Pt. Roberts. Don't know why they're so persnickety; might have something to do with their postings. ;
Another bizarre border crossing is in the middle of the 'Top of the World' highway. Wilderness for miles in every direction, and right there on this remote highway is a Customs and Immigration 'blockhouse'.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't travel more than 10 miles to shop at Wally World. You figure in your gas, and time spent, might be able to afford to shop in the local store after all.
Shopping in our local grocery is like shopping in a 7-11 for your groceries. Their prices are out if this world, plus a lot of the items in the store are on the verge of going out of date. We spend around $370 in Wal-Mart plus $30 for fuel but the fuel will last us about a month or about the same time we go for our next shopping trip. On top of all of that fuel runs 24 to 30 cents a gallon more in out town then the town where Wally World is. So for us it works out both for fuel and groceries.

Groceries at Wal-Mart are no different then any other grocery store except for some meat and fresh veggies or fruit. There are other grocery stores in this town as well. Last week when we went shopping gas in our town was $3.169 and in the other town it was $2.879.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My Canadian Buddy (dec.)wasn't too happy when we crossed the border at Point Roberts.I owned up to being from Australia & we had to wait 30 minutes or so while the guards ran security checks on me.I was told later that if you don't say anything they would just let you go through. That was in 1989,the year The Calgary Flames won The Stanley Cup.I bet it's more strict now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts