Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a routor show that used this bit to make six sided colums. They also have one that is used to creat an eight sided colum. Supposedly only one side of the board needs to be cut,the other side should mate up perfectly.Now wouldnt that be dandy!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Les, the birds mouth bits have cutting edges at an angle on each cutting edge.
The angle allows you to route angles on the edges to enable the construction of rounded, or cone shaped items. I have the bits from Lee Valley and they work fine.
I constructed a waste basket, out of some cherry stock with them and had to sand the out side surface round, but that was easy because very little material was left proud of the surface. The idea was originally used to make masts for ships.
Woodnut65

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI LES I saw you are interested in the birrdsmouth bit. i got one but remember they only sell 1/2 inch shank-- i had to go out and buy a 1/2 inch router hi hi.. I use mine in making 6 sided lighthouse. It is perfect as all you do is cut a tapor on the side and run one side thru the router and it fits perfect and most of all is strong.. Have fun woodworking

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.