Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just picked up a ryobi 1150 router for peanuts on eBay.
But it was just the router no box, guides or bits. The collet in it is 1/4inch.
So two newbie questions...
1) Do I buy a set of 1/4 bits, or is there any benefit in other sizes. Bearing in mind i'll need to get a different size collet?
2) What accessories will I find most useful for general router work and where's the best place (uk) to get them?

Cheers
Tony in Crieff.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Before you start buying 1/2" shaft bits make sure you can get a 1/2" collet for that router. Many routers only are available in 1/4" or 8mm. You are limited in diameter what you can buy in small shank bits. Larger bits like raised panel cutters generate too much torque for small shafts. I know Trend is one option over there but I've seen posts where other members from the UK listed other sellers. By the way, welcome to the forum Tony.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 all good if the flute design is not compromised.
Better yet: 5/8 or 3/4! But, alas, no collets of this size in kitchen routers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at it now... The collet in it is 1/4 internal 1/2 external diameter.
However inside the collet nut is another "collet" that seems to be fixed inside the nut. This one is only 1/2 long and not very thick (hard to measure as I can't get it out)
Does this mean I could run 1/2 bits?

Ps ryobi website says it takes 1/4 and 3/8 collets.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,914 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flipping heck. That's impressive!
So I guess I have a1/2 collet with attached nut
And a 1/4 reducer sleeve!

Thanks semipro.

Does that mean I can run 1/2 bits? Even though these site doesn't mention them in the spec'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1/2 is best IMO. They significantly reduce vibration and just have a more solid feel in general. I use them whenever possible. If the cutting diameter is very small, I don't mind using 1/4" shank (in fact, many times, bits like that will only be available in 1/4") otherwise I only buy 1/2" shank bits.

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
I've got several routers, that all take 1/4" bits. For what I do, they work like a charm. However, if I were ever to buy another router, it will probably take 1/2".

·
Registered
575 Posts
In answer to your question, bigger is better. Half inch is stronger, has less flex and is just safer.
I only use my 1/4" when I can not use half.
Think on this. The bit is spinning around 20,000 rpms. If things go bad and it will happen, well think on it. This is another reason I like my routers with trigger switches, let go and it stops. Some router have positive switches, so you are holding a router that (is gone to ****, bearing went bad etc) you have to figure out what to do.
YES is will happen.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Tony, if Ryobi says 1/4" or 3/8" then those are your choices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts