Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Nope . I'm hungover (practically still drunk) and I believe there bench hole dogs

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Bryan, I see why you asked - but my guess is "neither". Bob was a big believer in bench dogs - he had more ways of using them than there are Tylenols in all of the civilized world. Bob also said he never had dust control in his shop - he insisted that he used a lawn/leaf blower "when necessary". In that photo, there's something that appears to have an outside diameter that "might" slide-down into those holes - it may have been something similar to bench dogs.
Bob was a unique kind of guy - he knew more about routers than I will ever know - he was very helpful with sharing information, as well.

RIP, Bob - you were one of a kind!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
This looks a lot like a sanding table with a DC attached underneath to suck up dust from sanding projects. You build a box with a split bottom with both sides tilting inward and the DC opening in the middle where the V of the bottom is. Holes are too big for bench dogs. You use ply on top so your sanding piece is well supported and not abraided as it would be with a metal grill top. Nothing collects ALL dust, but this can help with sanding, especially if you have a strong dust collector. Still, I wouldn't ever sand without a mask on.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
It looks like the top may be made out of particle board and it's possible that the holes are just there to lighten the weight of a table top that gets stored away when not in use. The holes seem too large for either bench dogs or dust control to me. It also looks like the table may be attached to a 2 x 4 that is held in a B&D Workmate table.

Reactions: chessnut2

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
To the right of the photos in the uploads is the link to the thread it originated in. Each post in the thread also has a number so in very long threads it can be helpful to include the post number where something was added.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Bob was a heavy user of router bushings, so the idea of that being a template for something that he wanted to put smaller router cut holes into on that spacing, is definite possibility.

Charley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts