Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used Inca 342.186 band saw. It's probably 20 years old. Both the thrust bearings were seized, so I purchased new ones. I noticed that the upper bearing had been badly scored near its hub by the back of the blade and assumed the previous owner hadn't known how to properly adjust the upper guide. Now, though, I can see what the problem was

The first two photos below show the guides with the table and top wheel removed. The third shows a close-up of the upper guide with the top wheel back on and a 1/2-inch resaw blade mounted. The back of the blade is clearly contacting the thrust bearing at nearly the center, rather than along the outer rim as it should - just as it did for the previous owner.

I can't see any way of adjusting the thrust bearing fore and aft within the guide housing. Nor will the guide housing adjust fore and aft - just up and down as you would expect.

Has anyone any thoughts on how to deal with this? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are the gullets of the blade centered on the wheel? Weird they don't give an adjustment for different sized blades. Can you get a manual for the saw?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is not for various sizes of blade, Richard. The guides and the bearings slide in and out as they should. It's the position of the blade left and right (in the photos). The blade should be almost 1/4 inch to the right in the close-up so that it rides on the outside edge of the bearing.

I can't find a manual. Robin Lee of Lee Valley Tools (LVT used to handle Inca) posted manuals for a number of Inca tools in another forum, but only a parts manual for the band saw.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
From the photo, it looks like the tires are thicker than expected. Maybe replacement of the tires will bring the blade further from the center of the thrust bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the photo, it looks like the tires are thicker than expected. Maybe replacement of the tires will bring the blade further from the center of the thrust bearing.
That might help. The tires are about 1/8 inch thick. How thin are replacements - anyone know off-hand?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My 14" jet's tires are about 1/16".

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Uh, thinner tires would move the blade closer to the center of the bearing! Many bandsaws I have seen are set up that way. Don't know that there is an easy solution other than maybe a set of Carter bandsaw guides. Depending on what you gave for the saw the Carter guides may well exceed that price. May also be a ceramic guide available...that would reduce wear.

My Grizzly is setup the same way.. have changed bearings once in 18 years. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Closer to the center of the bottom bearing, yes. The pics concentrated on the top bearing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Closer to the center of the bottom bearing, yes. The pics concentrated on the top bearing.
Ralph, I don't care which set it is, if you reduce the diameter of the wheel, the natural tracking line will move toward the middle.. not the outside!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The shaft that the thrust bearing is mounted to. Is it six-sided? Many are and their thrust bearing is eccentrically mounted on them.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Ralph. I work on metal cutting band saws all the time, and I've never seen a one that didn't have eccentric bolt or bushing for adjusting that bearing. Don't know if the eccentric bolt or sleeve would be enough, but a combination of thinner tire and eccentric sleeve my be the ticket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bryan
If this is like mi band saw
The bearing holder as 5 positions by rotating the holder it will change the position from right to left this is the way mine works
By removing the bearing and its holder you will notice that the bearing is not in the center of the shaft

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why would you want the blade any closer to the centre of the bearing that is stationary and would rub on it picture shows about centered on the moving area of the bearing. Only my opinion Andy

·
Registered
782 Posts
maybe the beiring has been change and the beiring is too big?? i bet that it why it is running to close to the center or screw.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking along those lines too, Del. The bearing is the same size as the one on the lower guide, so I think it's the stock size. I'm going to try a bearing show to see if they can sell me something smaller. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go along with Duane and just live with it.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check to see if the shaft the bearing is mounted on is on some sort of eccentric device. Rotate the shaft (not the bearing) and see if the wheel wobbles left or right. This is a very common set up in some older guide systems.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I was thinking along those lines too, Del. The bearing is the same size as the one on the lower guide, so I think it's the stock size. I'm going to try a bearing show to see if they can sell me something smaller. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go along with Duane and just live with it.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.
Bryan, think I am going to try a pair of these..

CERAMIC THRUST BEARING / JET DELTA 14" | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop

Most thrust bearing are the same size.. may work for you as well!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts