Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered this forum while looking for a solution to a problem that has bothered me for years! I want to build some jigs for both router and saw that slide back and forth like the saw does up and down on a panel saw. Some use wheel on pipes, some use channels with bearings. Thought of using garage doors rollers but to big and bulky. I haven't done much with sealed bearing but bolting them to apparatus seems to elude me! Anyone having idea of being able to have a smooth sliding of a carriage both on a x and y axis would endear me to you for ever. I have a Shop Smith and like the way it slides back and forth but just not smooth enough with force I want. Want this to build a dado jig, duplicator jig, panel saw. Like to build a CNC action but price is out of reach! Don't want much for a first post you think? ANY HELP PLEASE!:help:

·
Super Moderator
John
6,959 Posts
Hello Ron, welcome to Router Forums,
I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have .

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Ron.

You will find many on the forum, from hobbyists
to professional with similar interest in the router and its uses.

Take the time to learn how the forum works and ask any questions you want.

Try to post your question in the most appropriate section as not all members
read the Introductions section.

The members are only too happy to help.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ron.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome to Router Forums Ron.

First thing that came to mind was using a drawer slide. Of course that would have length of travel limitations and possible chip and sawdust issues. I'm guessing they make sealed slides as well though. Just a thought.

Matthias Wandel explains his use of a drawer slide for his router contraption in the below YouTube link.

Making linear glides from drawer slides

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
This forum abounds with knowledge,I thank you for sharing and letting me be apart of it. I have already been exposed to techniques I did not know existed.I would like to tell a short story. Two cultures were separated by a mountain range. One culture farmed,the other hunted. The farmers,over generations invented the wheel,which led to carts to make their life easier. The hunters learned over generations to harness fire for their needs. One day the farmer and hunter met on the mountain and befriended each other. Out of gratitude they each shared their inventions. Knowledge that took generations to learn was transferred in minutes. that is what this FORUM does. Thank You, sincerely Bret Buckel

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ron. You should do a search on the forum for router skis. It will do quite a bit of what you are looking for. Another thing you could consider instead of bearings or slides is ultra low friction plastic. Lee Valley sells it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have to agree with Charles, Router Skis will probably do exactly what you want.

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Brett.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,944 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brett.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome Brett.
For what it's worth I'm learning all the time from these guys plus I also invested in Bill Hylton's book Ultimate Guide to the Router Table which has helped me immensely.
The more detail you give and photos always help people understand. A good explanation can often save on the thread length and get you a better and faster result.
Again welcome

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi, Ron.

Welcome to the forum.

Linear motion bearings would be an option, based on your budget.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello Ron! Welcome to the forum! I started reading this, and I remembered a write-up in one of Bill Hylton's Router Magic!
Alexis mentions Linear motion bearings. I found a Shop built Mortiser in Hylton's book that are like the bearings talked about in the last post. They allow a shaft to slide from side to side. Router Magic should be available in a library, and has some nice plans to follow! If You like it, I think You could still buy a copy! Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Welcome Michael! Glad to see You get the 10 post! I hope You enjoy the forum as much as I do! congratulations

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your input and welcoming. Lots to learns and looking at things in different ways. Not sure what router skis are or low friction plastic are but I soon will thanks to you making me aware of them. Also check out Matthias at wood gear. This is woodworking on steroids. Thought I would just build a router table but that thought went out the window. Lots to explore but keep the ideas coming. Will post what I learn so others can gain from my exploration! Ron

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thanks for all your input and welcoming. Lots to learns and looking at things in different ways. Not sure what router skis are or low friction plastic are but I soon will thanks to you making me aware of them. Also check out Matthias at wood gear. This is woodworking on steroids. Thought I would just build a router table but that thought went out the window. Lots to explore but keep the ideas coming. Will post what I learn so others can gain from my exploration! Ron

UHMW Polyethylene - Lee Valley Tools

Much simpler and cheaper than linear bearings, at least the ones I've priced. Obviously won't be as smooth and free moving but how smooth do you actually need?

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts
Most "low friction plastic" is HDPE or 'chopping board material". UHMW is harder to find, but can be found.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts