Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some readers may recall a previous post (2014 or there about) where I described repurposing large vinyl nursery containers by surrounding them with cedar staves to create planters for the deck and yard. From that came the question of what if the staves were horizontal rather than vertical. Having never seen a barrel with horizontal staves (please advise if I’m short sighted) I thought, why not build one and perhaps “they will come”. Sorry couldn’t resist that closing.

My theory was that by dividing the planter into equal segments with vertical furring strips the staves cut at 22.5 degrees and glued in place would create a uniform surface. Tongue and groove staves would add strength to each section. A reasonable theory but in practice a number of errors on my part got in the way.

The errors:
1) Instead of anchoring the first furring strip in place as a reference and tacking all subsequent ones to it, I tried to hold all of them in place at once with painters tape while the glue (Locktite quick drying rated to hold to vinyl and plastic as well as wood) set.
2) I failed to take into account a ¼” offset at the top of the barrel when cutting the furring strips.
3) I started the inlay from the top of the barrel rather than the bottom.
4) FRUSTRATION with attempts to fix the problems on the fly.

The net result was a rather ugly barrel, with see photos, with some of the staves fitting and others, well…….. Overall, I think the theory would work but I have no plans to try it again. :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I like it ,Jon. It is not a piece of fine furniture, it is a planter for the patio and yard. Looks rustic and unique. I have seen square planter boxes built horizontally, but not Octagon. Once the plants go in it and start to grow, they will be the attraction not the container.
Maybe it didn't come out to your expectations, but it is not a failure. You learned some things building it. On to the next project.

Herb

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Jon, everyone makes mistakes so don't feel bad. Now that you know what to expect give it another shot.

Reactions: neville9999

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I like the theory and execution...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you one and all for the encouraging comments. It was indeed a worthwhile learning project, think I just got in too big a hurry. Whenever I build a planter I try to come up with a design that is a bit out of the ordinary and provides a learning opportunity to enhance my skills. I still have 4 nursery barrels so I may well try it again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jon I think it is very unique. It doesn't look like some mass produced item that anyone can buy at the big box stores. You have something that no one else will have and to anyone other than you, the flaws would hardly be noticeable. Great job.

bill

·
Registered
Paul
1,867 Posts
I wonder if your barrel could be improved with some wider slats to go over the uprights. Hiding the joints??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I, also, like the rustic look. Anyone else looking would not see mistakes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jon I think it is very unique. It doesn't look like some mass produced item that anyone can buy at the big box stores. You have something that no one else will have and to anyone other than you, the flaws would hardly be noticeable. Great job.

Thanks. I always try to design and build them to be distinct. Even the great ones I see in the local Farmer's markets tend to follow a set patter but then they are selling their wares.

Jon

bill
I wonder if your barrel could be improved with some wider slats to go over the uprights. Hiding the joints??? Just a thought.
Bill: I thought about that approach and even did a tape up on one section but it didn't pass the eye ball test from SWMBO. :nerd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts