Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...'ensure that all pilot lights are off' they really mean it!!!
Working with contact cement is dangerous enough without turning the propane stove on 'to warm the place up'.
My neighbor wasn't clear on the concept yesterday. That was a like-new 30' RV yesterday morning.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,855 Posts
Hope he has a good insurance policy. Otherwise, he is SOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, he's fine. He ran to get a fire extinguisher and when he opened the door he was standing behind it and it shielded him from the blast of super-heated air that rushed out. The neighbours told me today that it was pretty much over, start to finish, in a bit over 15 minutes.
Theo; we all have the same insurer up here, Insurance Corp. of British Columbia (ICBC). His insurance had expired but he needed to drive it out onto the street to open up the expanding thingies, so he bought a one-day policy from ICBC...
Even better, all the rubble is out on the street so the City came by today, took away the hulk and started cleaning up the rest of the rubble.
All he has to do now is tell his wife, before she gets home from a business trip and sees the blast zone.
The aforementioned neighbours tell me that the two propane tanks venting off were pretty spectacular!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,855 Posts
The description almost makes me wish I was there to see it. Almost. He got off very fortunately. Now all he has to survive is his wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,698 Posts
Wow! Poor guy. He was lucky.
Since I moved from the Phoenix area I've not used contact cement. Unless you count 3M77. Now that I use propane for heat in the shop, I'll definitely keep this in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
The insurance company is going to look at a fire while covered by a one-day policy rather suspiciously, don't you imagine? He was very lucky he had it, and in some other ways too...like being behind that door and being parked in the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,625 Posts
Very fortunate man...glad noone was hurt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not hurt in the blast is darn lucky. That propane is nasty business when it goes off.
Tom; the 'blast' wasn't from the propane, the tanks are outside and at the rear of the chassis. I'm drawing a blank here, it was an example of that phenomena that happens when a fire is starved for air but suddenly can draw in all it needs from a shattered window or opened door...flashback or something? They made a movie with that as the title(?)...
Firefighters' nightmare.
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
16,386 Posts
Wood burning heaters can do that too. Seems to me the worst one I had for that was a Valley Comfort brand. We came home from a day in town and when I opened the door to put some wood in I singed my eyelashes and eyebrows. I learned to either open the damper and wait a few minutes or open the door and lean back.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
Years ago I was installing a new kitchen, a tall open end panel had been made with a unfinished side so it was being laminated in place and I had a over 1 meter square area from the work top to the very top spread with contact glue, it was tacking off and the homeowner turned the gas cooking plate on, instantly the kitchen was on fire, it went out quickly so the house did not burn down but there was quite a large flame for several seconds and a lot black smoke powder on the ceiling. I had forgotten about this happening. I wont thank anyone for reminding me as it was a very unhappy day and I had to spend the rest of it cleaning up, its the thinner in the glue that's flammable and it flashed to flame in a nanosecond. I cant work out why anyone would have a large amount of contact glue being used in what has been described as a near new mobile home, this must have been an open tin that caught on fire and then was left to burn, I always have fire extinguishers at hand, everyone needs to have one ready to use regardless of if they are in the kitchen or the workshop. N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Neville; if you had met my neighbour you'd be clear on the problem ...*lips are sealed* ;)
This is the same guy that drilled through the outside wall of his house...right through the back of his brand new dishwasher (up against the wall on the inside).
He didn't know he'd done it till his wife ran a load and flooded the house...on the brand new hardwood floors!
They had just had a complete reno done due to lot of damage from a leaky roof; that was also an insurance claim.
Yeh; I'd be getting suspicious too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,330 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who thought he could save money by renting a power snake and cleaning his own sewer line. Not until a very excited neighbor came over yelling for him to stop did he realize the snake had run up the vent stack and was chewing huge chunks of shingles off his roof.
Some things are best left to those who know what they are doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Now I wonder, does 3M77 have the same issue? I don't have a can around right now to check but was just debating ordering that or FastCap's 2P10 for general purpose quick stuff.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top