Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to start some small projects. I am wondering where to purchase rough cut lumber at a reasonable cost. I have checked out ebay, facebook market, craigslist and some online stores. Do you have any good sources for hard maple specifically, as well as domestic and exotic lumber. I live in Maine. Thank you.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If it's just small projects you might be able to visit one of those mills and come away with some trim ends at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I'm in central NC, not especially way out in the woods, and you would never think of mills here, but I found out that there are 7 sawmills within about 10 miles of my house. That is all I could find, and it was mostly by accident that I found those. So I am sure there are more. Plus a store with many types of wood about 20 miles away. So, check the phone book. Ask anyone if they know where you can get wood - sometimes that, or a small sign beside their drive, is the only way to find them. And check with tree trimmers, etc.

Almost forgot. Check the classified of WoodenBoat.

Reactions: Ed3443

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just yesterday ordered two boxes of pieces of assorted hardwoods from Amazon.com. I want them to make cutting boards. Not sure of what I will get since this is my first time ordering.
David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Didn't think of this before. Should have, because it is what I would do. Just do a search online. Something like: exotic wood for sale online.

Amazon would probably be the last place I would buy wood from, I checked wood prices once, for some long forgotten reason, and the prices were very high.

If you want free exotic wood, pallets can be a good source, depending on where the pallet was made. I know teak has been found in some. I have some nice Spanish cedar out of one. Got some wood have no idea at all what it is. It's almost white, has no grain that I can tell, and a rasp won't touch it. Saws and power planes nicely tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.