Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I’m wondering if it would be an idea to ask the moderators for a Sticky thread regarding purchasing CNC electronics.
I’ve been searching high and low and am seeing some varying prices on stepper motors and drivers , and I’m curious as to where others have purchased their electronics and why they chose them .
This would be for everything necessary to build the electronics part , including the spindle and vfd , shielded cable , limit switches etc

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If someone wants to collate information I could see about putting one together from that. You'd need discussion thread(s) to find out the best equipment/price.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
I shopped around for the best deal on the items I chose, Rick. My 3kW water cooled spindle is Chinese and I shopped eBay for the best deal on a spindle that met my specs. The VFD was a no-brainer; I bought from Drives Warehouse in Dallas.

My thinking was/is that I would rather have a top notch VFD with a Chinese spindle than to get the Chinese VFD and spindle together. I've read and heard in several places that the Hitachi VFD has far less electrical noise and better cooling than the knock-offs. That doesn't mean the Chinese VFD is junk and shouldn't be used, it just wasn't my preference. Several times I needed to ask questions about settings on the VFD and calling someone in Dallas was quick and easy. Those guys know their stuff!

Most of the other components I chose came from American sources where I can talk to someone and get support but I still shopped around for the best deal.

Hope this helps...
David

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shopped around for the best deal on the items I chose, Rick. My 3kW water cooled spindle is Chinese and I shopped eBay for the best deal on a spindle that met my specs. The VFD was a no-brainer; I bought from Drives Warehouse in Dallas.

My thinking was/is that I would rather have a top notch VFD with a Chinese spindle than to get the Chinese VFD and spindle together. I've read and heard in several places that the Hitachi VFD has far less electrical noise and better cooling than the knock-offs. That doesn't mean the Chinese VFD is junk and shouldn't be used, it just wasn't my preference. Several times I needed to ask questions about settings on the VFD and calling someone in Dallas was quick and easy. Those guys know their stuff!

Most of the other components I chose came from American sources where I can talk to someone and get support but I still shopped around for the best deal.

Hope this helps...
David
Actually your the reason I wanted to stay with Hitachi for the VDF , as I have seen a lot of bad reviews on other brands .
I wasn’t aware how expensive the NEMA34 steppers were , well at least the ones that I find .
I didn’t know there was several versions of them though, as the same size Nema can have different Torque specs .
Every time I find a kit with NEMA34 steppers snd drivers,it’s always for 3. I believe we require 4 .

Four of these ones I posted would certainly add up, and I think that’s in US currency . And I haven’t even gotten to the stepper drivers ,or the other associated electronics.
Almost should have ordered the plug and play , but that’s no fun

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually David, I could back threw your build thread ,as you had a list there also .
I see these steppers have different steps . Not sure which stepper is ideal for wood carvings

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Several times I needed to ask questions about settings on the VFD and calling someone in Dallas was quick and easy. Those guys know their stuff!

Most of the other components I chose came from American sources where I can talk to someone and get support but ...
David
I can remember several threads where members said that customer support from China was non-existent. That and repair parts are always an issue and general consensus is that when China is the source the problem is multiplied. At least when you get Chinese parts from a North American source with a good CS record it's because they chose to do business with a Chinese company with a good CS reputation.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Rick

Before it's all said and done you'll wish you'd have just got the plug and play!! Still plenty of stuff to tinker with. It's not just handed to you.

New contests to think about. Pick a date - when will Rick get his actually running, when will he actually make something, and when will he sell his first item? Oh........ and when will he insulate? (just had to)

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rick

Before it's all said and done you'll with you'd have just got the plug and play!! Still plenty of stuff to tinker with. It's not just handed to you.

New contests to think about. Pick a date - when will Rick get his actually running, when will he actually make something, and when will he sell his first item? Oh........ and when will he insulate? (just had to)
I was kind of wondering that myself after adding it all up , but I was really looking forward to building my own.
I noticed Avid CNC has things staggered and it looks pretty tight in there if you had to trouble shoot .
I was going to buy an oversized cabinet and mount it to the wall by the rear of the machine at standing height .
This would make it great to work on if I had to .
I also want to start with UCCNC right off the get go, and Gerry did mention that I could change the motion control board out in the Avid cnc cabinet , but I’d rather not.

Maybe I’ll be close to the same price when I’m done , but with better quality equipment.
I almost ordered their NEMA34 steppers this morning, but I believe they have a proprietary jack on theirs ?
I’d probably have to buy their cables to . Then you may as well buy the rest lol

I have seen better deals for kits that had all four Servos and stepper drives together. But I’m just not understanding the shaft size and design now.
Hoping it’s a standard thing

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
This all makes me sooo happy I have my CNC stuff sorted out.

CNC = Coffee 'N Cookies. Folgers coffee, 'n oatmeal cookies. Can relax now.
>:)

Oops, almost forgot. My Bubba Mug, vital CNC part. But only 52 oz.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok this is more like it . eBay has what I was looking for. Just have to find out if this kit is good quality wise .
Not sure if theirs better breakout board choices

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-Ship-4-A...658&pg=2385738&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598
I'd go down the SAFE road and buy the Avid plug and play electronics.
I haven't opened my Avid box in two years for anything other than blowing a little dust out. And if I ever need to, it's great to have Ahren and Cory handy. 🙂

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ok this is more like it . eBay has what I was looking for. Just have to find out if this kit is good quality wise .
Not sure if theirs better breakout board choices

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-Ship-4-A...658&pg=2385738&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

When you go cheap, you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
1) Those won't fit your drives.
2) They are bigger than you need. With stepper motors, bigger usually means slower.
3) I'm not a fan of using 4 power supplies.
4) You just spent a LOT of money, now you want to try to get away with a drive system for $400??

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Personally, my preference is Leadshine EM806 drives. Or their older AM882 drives.
They run cooler, quieter, and smoother than cheaper drives. Again, you get what you pay for. Are they 4 times better than the cheap drives in my other post? For some people, yes. For others, no, not really.
AM882's are only available on Ebay, and come with no support. I think they were originally for China only. I have 4, and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm very happy with my Huanyang VFD for $130. Genuine Huanyang VFD's seem to be pretty reliable for at least the last 5-7 years or so. The Huanyang knockoffs not so much. Thousands of people are using them.
Most people that have issue set them up incorrectly, and fry them.

Note: My HY VFD did come with a faulty output for the FWD output. But there are 5 programmable outputs, and you only need one, so I just switched the default Reverse terminal to Forward and it runs fine.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
When you go cheap, you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
1) Those won't fit your drives.
2) They are bigger than you need. With stepper motors, bigger usually means slower.
3) I'm not a fan of using 4 power supplies.
4) You just spent a LOT of money, now you want to try to get away with a drive system for $400??
Gerry,

You'll find Rick is always chasing, but seldom catches. I think he has more fun looking for things than actually getting them. Spend a dollar - save a penny doesn't compute with some. But he's a neat fella - and ours - for better or for worse.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the info.
I’m not trying to cheap out , I just thought it was a good deal . I want quality for sure . I do not want to spend 4 grand on Servos , but I would like high end Nema 34’s , drives and PS.
I forgot you can use one PS for all the stepper drivers if it’s got proper ratings . Been out of the loop for a while

Gerry,

You'll find Rick is always chasing, but seldom catches. I think he has more fun looking for things than actually getting them. Spend a dollar - save a penny doesn't compute with some. But he's a neat fella - and ours - for better or for worse.
Can’t get a darn thing past you guys :grin:

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
TOops, almost forgot. My Bubba Mug, vital CNC part. But only 52 oz.
My mistake. Double checked, and have the little Bubba Mug, just 34 oz.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.