Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a router sled, and want to know the best bit to use to flatten pieces of wood to a glue quality face.
For example, I have 2 pieces of walnut plank, each being a foot long x 8" wide, cut from the same large plank, and I want to glue them together to make a block.
So I need a completely smooth flat face to both.

I have used ordinary plunge bits, and even a bowl smoothing bit, but there are always lines left in the wood, making me have to sand them out, and often causing more uneven surfaces in the process.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I have a router sled, and want to know the best bit to use to flatten pieces of wood to a glue quality face.
For example, I have 2 pieces of walnut plank, each being a foot long x 8" wide, cut from the same large plank, and I want to glue them together to make a block.

I have used ordinary plunge bits, and even a bowl smoothing bit, but there are always lines left in the wood, making me have to sand them out, and often causing more uneven surfaces in the process.
I used to use a bottom cleaning bit but found that a dish cutter gives better results.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts

I sometimes use a sled for recessing housings for timber frame joinery and have actually had fine results from a spiral uncut bit. That said, the below bit is supposed to be superior and I just got one so haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...ies/router-bits/110463-flattening-router-bits

I'll let you know how it works.

B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.