Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i used to work for a company that produced sheet metal parts for the aircraft industry, they used to rout parts using hss bit that ran either round the outside or inside of template to produce a replica of template.

i have 2 starter sets of bits in 1/4 &1/2 inch shanks but do not seem to have a bit for reproducing templates.

if i wish to cut an appeture right through a piece of 19mm mdf which i am using to get used to use of router, the only bit i seem to have is straight 1/4 dia X1inch the rest are mainly bottom bearing bits for edge work.

i am unsure wether to purchase a top bearing straight cutter that can be used to follow a template inside or out ,using plunge router or inverted in table,???

or is there something else straight /2 fluted/spiral/upcut, have looked at trend/rutlands tool bit catalogue more confused than ever

thank you

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks template tom and woodnut ,i have no hss bits starter sets are modest draper /charnwood tct , must admit completly forgot about the guide bush supplied with router to use with a straight bit, can also see the merits of top bearing bits.

is it normal practise size of stock permiting to use guide bush/straight cutter with plunge in most cases, or use same set up in router table but drill hole in stock for bit,

thank you for your assistance which is very helpfull.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.