Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at last I have found a group who know what they are doing!!

I saw a dresser in an antique shop window and frivolously said "I'd like to make that" . My wife said "great go ahead!" So thats my challenge. Making the dresser is not the problem but you can see that the doors have a lot of mouldings. Oddly the piece in the shop window had its doors fastened the wrong way (ie inside out).
I have a router which takes 8mm and 6mm bits , so 1/4 inch, but I am not sure which shapes to get. Can you guys advise? Please

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: I would use 8mm, for heavy cuts. 6mm is a little light. Most rouers in the US handle 1/4" and 1/2" bits. I would suggest round over bits, straight bits, and maybe a large bit that has a number of profiles on it for mouldings etc. To make the doors you may need a raised panel set of bits. Some bits will be needed to make the muttins in the top glass doors. I hope you have some experience with the router, since the project you are considering is complicated. You may even consider getting a bigger router to use larger bits, and variable speeds. Hope this helps.. Woodnut65

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't think the doors are inside out. If you are seriously considering copying this style of furniture, you will need a lager router with variable speed to make the raised panel doors. This is a pretty complex project for someone without a good deal of woodworking experience. Do not attempt raised panels with an 8mm or 1/4" bit.

regards
jerry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I posted yesterday I fooled around with a tryout door that I already made to test different techniques. My previous work was without electric tools and that what I prefer, but a router does get things moving!
Jerry , yes the doors have been reversed, the shop wasnt selling the peice but only was using it as a fancy display with the doors open. we see the outsides which are of course fancier.
Woodnut, I understand that you would make a series of passes with various bits, and thats what I tried yesterday. I also worked freehand ,which perhaps isnt recommended but .... My biggest problem was setting the guides, especially the depth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.