Router Forums banner

Which Bits to Get?

1727 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Mike
Need advice. I would like to: 1. Rabbet picture frames once assembled. 2. would like to plunge route using an oval template to make an opening in material ,leaving an irregular outer border but a clean oval on the inside. Question: What bits do I need to purchase to get the job done?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Hi Shopguy

The bit below works great for picture frames .
But I not to sure what you mean by saying "leaving an irregular outer border"
They make many bits that will do this job. :)

Picture Frame Rabbet Bits

2 flute, carbide tipped bits with totally enclosed ball bearings.
Designed for making custom picture frames or mirrors. The double stepped rabbet will cut either a 1/8" x 3/8" or 1/4" x 3/8" rabbet for your glass or mirror, and an additional 3/8" x 3/8" rabbet for your artwork and backing board. Use for 1” or larger stock.
Use this one to plunge in and cut the frame out
You can use this type on bit to plunge on the out side of the frame and then use the carb. downcut with a brass guiide to to remove the outside of the frame.
Faux Raised Panel Bits

Bj :)
See less See more
Any plunge bits can be used with guide bushings inside templates. This will allow you to create your ovals not effected by the frame shape.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.