Router Forums banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What did you finally decide to get? Looking forward to hearing your take on the tool you selected.
I am going to wait a couple weeks to peruse the Black Friday deals and then order. Right now I am thinking of ordering both the Bosch GKF125CEN Colt 1.25 HP AND the Makita Kit (RT0701CX3). The Bosch can be had for $85 - $90 (new) which seems like a really good deal. The Makita offers more base options. At the price of the Bosch I can try both and sell one (or keep both) and not be out any real amount of money.

I have seen a lot of comments here from owners of full size routers that they use their compact routers more than they thought they would. I would imagine the same for me.

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
In my research for projects, I came up with some things that a compact router would make a whole lot easier. I was thinking Dremel, but thinking that would only be good for one thing for me, not more. Not sure if a trim router would work for everything, yet, but think it could do what the Dremel could also. Never used a trim router; so thinking I will get one of the el cheapo trim routers, around $24 or $25, and see if it will do what I want. If it does, then when it dies I will upgrade. And, if it won't, I won't be out much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
For those interested, there is a new review of the Bosch Kit at protoolreviews. A lot of review sites simply parrot manufacturing advertising or extract from Amazon reviews. I have seen some pretty good reviews at protoolreviews that call out tools for shortcomings. That being said, there is nothing earth shattering in the review beyond the fact that they were happy with the router kit.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/corded/routers/bosch-colt-palm-router-combination-kit-review-gkf125cepk/

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
Wow, the osch GKF125CEPK is a really nice trim router. Newer model of the previous Colt, but a bit more power, lights, variable speed dial, kit with plunge base and edge guide. I like it and would choose it over the Makita kit. Bosch was a little late into this market, but it sure looks like they listended to customers.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Bosch CS/TS beats out Marita's by a wide margin and then some...
VOE..

·
Registered
35 Posts
23' of roundover per battery charge? That's got to be a typo(?). Once around a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, that's it. Sorry, not even remotely interested.
The battery isn't built in to the router. It is easily removed and replaced in an instant. Simply swap batteries.

It is 23' of roundover per amp hour, not per battery, so a 4 amp hour battery is nearly 100 feet.

Just how large is a kitchen sink?

A cordless trim router is perfect for fitting laminate counter tops, trimming the edges and sink cut out in the hustle and bustle of construction without the cumbersomeness of a cord. One battery on the charger, the other battery in the tool. Swap. Endless power.

I have 16 identical and interchangeable 6 amp hour batteries in a comprehensive cordless tool ensemble that includes a chainsaw, a 15" string trimmer, a 15" brush cutter, a 30" double sided blade hedge trimmer, power rotating broom, 473 cfm blower, 1/2" drill, 4 speed impact driver, 1,180 ft. lb. breakaway impact wrench, stapler, drywall saw, cutout tool, oscillating multitool, close quarters right angle driver, rear handle 7 1/4" circular saw, and yes, a trim router.

As has been proven to me over and over again, in a variety of tough tasks I've put this cornucopia of tools through, battery power is simply not an issue. The more recent crop of lithium ion chemistry battery tools are very different animals than the 30 year old NiCd chemistry battery tools they replaced. If I had continued to hang on to my old memories of inadequately powered battery tools, I would have never had the chance to experience the true joy of using a power tool unencumbered by worries of accidentally cutting the cord, or not being able to start a two stroke engine.

It is nothing to swipe a battery off of another tool not in use. It is nothing to have a three battery rotation... one on the charger, one in the tool, and one already charged standing by. Power is simply not an issue with cordless any longer.

For anyone making signs, or doing a lot of directional changes in their routing processes, I would strongly encourage you to experience the freedom of cordless. It still makes me smile.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I didn't know what CS/TS meant! (Still don't actually... if CS means Customer Service, what does TS mean?)
1... CS = Customer Service
2... TS = Technical Service

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
If Harry likes the Makita, it's probably very good. I agree that hands on feel is probably in order. Switch location is the only thing I don't like about the 1617 but it's livable, and I like the knobs. I don't like the feel of the DeWalt raising and lowering mechanism. So the subjective is pretty much the deciding factor for me.
You really are kind Tom.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Bosch CS/TS beats out Marita's by a wide margin and then some...
VOE..
For what reasons Stick, you can't make a statement like that without giving reasons.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It's not necessarily a universal truth either Harry. We've heard from UK members that Bosch CS is less than stellar in that country. I haven't heard how they compare in Oz. Mike from Detroit used to say the same thing about my Hitachis. That when I needed CS from Hitachi I'd regret not buying Bosch. I still have never needed to talk to Hitachi about any shortcomings any of my 3 Hitachis have (or technically haven't had). If that ever happens I'll be sure to post on my experience with them.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
For what reasons Stick, you can't make a statement like that without giving reasons.

That's a great line, Harry...I think I will jot it down for future reference.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Harry..
I own both brands...
I have dealt w/ their respective CS/TS and the repairs of..
there are members here that have confirmed/verified to the outstanding CS/TS of Bosch, way more than once, validating my own many experiences....

here's a re-posting of my reasons I have already said MANY TIMES in the past...

I was around when Makita, Hitachi and Ryobie were trying to get a foot hold in the US in the late 70's and early 80's...
They all hit on the mom and pop tool vendors / repair stations 1st and promised them the world... Offered a real bed of roses.. Really went over board to make themselves look good... Serious PR... Great jobber pricing, good warranty program, low unit buying and so on... Superb returns... and yadda, yadda, yadda....
Well that didn't last... As soon as they got their foot in the door - change happened....

After they got a bit of a toe hold that began to change... Higher unit costs, larger count purchase unit minimums, restructured warranty pays and poor invoice turn around... As much as 180 days out and discounted when the check showed up with a warning letter with it in regards to charging interest on unpaid balances... When the shoe was on the other foot... D&C...
When they got into HD, Mr. How, Scotties, Lowes and Wickes the mom and pop outfits found themselves over the proverbial barrel and out in the cold... Retail at the BB stores was lower than the M&P quantity jobber pricing... That original bed of roses showed an awful lot of thorns in it...

When Makita opened their own repair stations things got worse for mom and dad... The M&P folks couldn't even get repair parts unless they went to the repair stations in person and bought them over the counter... Sometimes for a whopping 10% off... $32.50 for a VSCH switch at Makita was $7.50 from Milwaukee.... $7.35 from Bosch... All of which were the same exact switch made by Cutler Hammer down to the part number PRINTED ON THE SWITCH.....

I think these guys/manufacturers did this to force out the M&P's because they weren't "volume” and weren't going to spend a dime of their own money doing it... they may even have had an angle to make money doing this... Don't know for sure but it sure looked that way...
Then came the cuts in $$$ for warranty repairs the M&P shops did... Not to mention the extremely slow paying on due bills and the you had to pay up front to get what you needed from them...
Longer and longer lead times too...

Bean counters and numbers.... Bottom line... It's THEMSELVES that matters to them and screw all others and us... The old time hard line Oriental view of the caste system and the flagrant display of their honor society mentality was very apparent here... Ya could taste it....

These guys weren't too customer friendly either... Screwed over more than a few... (vendors/customers).. Getting tool issues resolved was another class of "PITA" all in it's self... They left some really good people hanging, out in the cold, w/ reimbursement monies due, their tools not repaired under warranty - all making for embittered users...
So in short their integrity sucked and greed ruled... I don't give a damn what their PR lackeys say... They lied to us consumers... Cost us money, time and energies...

Makita refused to stand behind their newly introduced miter saw.. the impulse braking either failed all together after a few days of use or it ate up the motors in a month or two.. The tables were a real pain to align and keep aligned... I had one... I ended up throwing it away...

All through this Bosch, Milwaukee, Elu, Hilti and Matebo stood by their word... Didn't let any one down and were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to it's contractors (M&P"s) and customers... This group of companies said "we are integrity" and proved it over and again... They had a line of most excellent products, still do, and they stood by them..
When I buy tools I look at who is getting my money and for what, together...

And not to mention … what will the tool do for ME… how long it will last and be trouble free at the same time… trouble costs money and causes down time…

Choosing Woodworking Equipment,Tools & Machinery...
1st and most important, I look to the company... Evaluate their CS/TS and will they step up to the plate should there be issues... (their integrity)..
see if they have a planned obsolesce program in force...

what will the company and their product do for me...
try to figure out if they will respect me in the morning...
no sense in buying something that can't be fixed a few years later or you can't find repair parts for and get crap for support...

Next the product...
It has to be quality..
Readily available..
will it have a long productive life...
will it do more than I need it to....
is it a good value over it's life of service... (decades of use over a very short life)
will it protect my bottom line...
will it go the extra mile...
will it go obsolete or become disposable in short order...
tools and tooling that don't cut the mustard, die an early death, suffer down time, hurt production and the bottom line need to be left on the store shelf and avoided...
w/ trying out/using most of the major brands and experiencing poor support/rapport from some to many and through the process of elimination I went w/ and favor Freud bits/tooling and Bosch routers...

Opinion...

Both, Bosch and Freud's CS/TS is next level outstanding...
their products have proven to be a good value...
this goes for Whiteside or Sommerfield(?) bits and their CS/TS also...

Reactions: Nickp and DaninVan

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Thanks for that, Stick! I know you don't really like typing and that was an opus!!
Mirrored my experiences with Makita.

Curiously enough, I was looking online for a replacement collet for my 30+ yr. old Ryobi trim router yesterday (out of curiosity). No hay problemo! Found them in several locations...#5 - $6 ea.
Real skookum little beasties too. Pretty sure now that bit slippage isn't the issue.
Doesn't matter anyway; gave it to my machinist neighbor. He'll figure it out.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks for that, stick! I know you don't really like typing and that was an opus!!
Mirrored my experiences with makita.
yur welcome...
And it's nothing you haven't seen before...

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I have a bad attitude... ;)
Doesn't matter whether it's a restaurant or tool mfg; they get one kick at the can. If they disappoint me they don't get another peek in my wallet.
It's the only power I have over them.
Makita lost all my business about 20+ years ago, and I was spending lots of money on tools.
Same for Milwaukee; my first recip saw was theirs ...what a piece of crap. My next was a PC and it was excellent (it got stolen). My third was another PC and I'm still using it 20+ yrs. later.
I had a bad experience with a Stihl brushcutter. That might surprise some outdoor tool users. The engine was forever needing service; really bad carb. design at that time.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1... I have a bad attitude... ;)
2... Doesn't matter whether it's a restaurant or tool mfg; they get one kick at the can. If they disappoint me they don't get another peek in my wallet.
3... It's the only power I have over them.
4... Makita lost all my business about 20+ years ago, and I was spending lots of money on tools.
5... Same for Milwaukee; my first recip saw was theirs ... what a piece of crap.
6... My next was a PC and it was excellent (it got stolen). My third was another PC and I'm still using it 20+ yrs. later.
7... I had a bad experience with a Stihl brushcutter.
8... That might surprise some outdoor tool users. The engine was forever needing service; really bad carb. design at that time.
1... welcome to the club...
2... Same here...
3... YES...
4... Same here again...
5... Hard to believe... I swear by them... Bosch has a very good one...
6... Gave mine away... It would get too hot to handle...
7... Stihl down here sets a lot of standards... CS/TS is awesome...
8... It does... At least this one...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
41 - 60 of 99 Posts