Router Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had issues with Makita tools in the past so switched over to Dewalt. I really like their compact routers . The 600 20v and the 611 corded use the same bases . As to battery charge -- Start with enough battery

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Harry..
I own both brands...
I have dealt w/ their respective CS/TS and the repairs of..
there are members here that have confirmed/verified to the outstanding CS/TS of Bosch, way more than once, validating my own many experiences....

here's a re-posting of my reasons I have already said MANY TIMES in the past...

I was around when Makita, Hitachi and Ryobie were trying to get a foot hold in the US in the late 70's and early 80's...
They all hit on the mom and pop tool vendors / repair stations 1st and promised them the world... Offered a real bed of roses.. Really went over board to make themselves look good... Serious PR... Great jobber pricing, good warranty program, low unit buying and so on... Superb returns... and yadda, yadda, yadda....
Well that didn't last... As soon as they got their foot in the door - change happened....

After they got a bit of a toe hold that began to change... Higher unit costs, larger count purchase unit minimums, restructured warranty pays and poor invoice turn around... As much as 180 days out and discounted when the check showed up with a warning letter with it in regards to charging interest on unpaid balances... When the shoe was on the other foot... D&C...
When they got into HD, Mr. How, Scotties, Lowes and Wickes the mom and pop outfits found themselves over the proverbial barrel and out in the cold... Retail at the BB stores was lower than the M&P quantity jobber pricing... That original bed of roses showed an awful lot of thorns in it...

When Makita opened their own repair stations things got worse for mom and dad... The M&P folks couldn't even get repair parts unless they went to the repair stations in person and bought them over the counter... Sometimes for a whopping 10% off... $32.50 for a VSCH switch at Makita was $7.50 from Milwaukee.... $7.35 from Bosch... All of which were the same exact switch made by Cutler Hammer down to the part number PRINTED ON THE SWITCH.....

I think these guys/manufacturers did this to force out the M&P's because they weren't "volume” and weren't going to spend a dime of their own money doing it... they may even have had an angle to make money doing this... Don't know for sure but it sure looked that way...
Then came the cuts in $$$ for warranty repairs the M&P shops did... Not to mention the extremely slow paying on due bills and the you had to pay up front to get what you needed from them...
Longer and longer lead times too...

Bean counters and numbers.... Bottom line... It's THEMSELVES that matters to them and screw all others and us... The old time hard line Oriental view of the caste system and the flagrant display of their honor society mentality was very apparent here... Ya could taste it....

These guys weren't too customer friendly either... Screwed over more than a few... (vendors/customers).. Getting tool issues resolved was another class of "PITA" all in it's self... They left some really good people hanging, out in the cold, w/ reimbursement monies due, their tools not repaired under warranty - all making for embittered users...
So in short their integrity sucked and greed ruled... I don't give a damn what their PR lackeys say... They lied to us consumers... Cost us money, time and energies...

Makita refused to stand behind their newly introduced miter saw.. the impulse braking either failed all together after a few days of use or it ate up the motors in a month or two.. The tables were a real pain to align and keep aligned... I had one... I ended up throwing it away...

All through this Bosch, Milwaukee, Elu, Hilti and Matebo stood by their word... Didn't let any one down and were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to it's contractors (M&P"s) and customers... This group of companies said "we are integrity" and proved it over and again... They had a line of most excellent products, still do, and they stood by them..
When I buy tools I look at who is getting my money and for what, together...

And not to mention … what will the tool do for ME… how long it will last and be trouble free at the same time… trouble costs money and causes down time…

Choosing Woodworking Equipment,Tools & Machinery...
1st and most important, I look to the company... Evaluate their CS/TS and will they step up to the plate should there be issues... (their integrity)..
see if they have a planned obsolesce program in force...

what will the company and their product do for me...
try to figure out if they will respect me in the morning...
no sense in buying something that can't be fixed a few years later or you can't find repair parts for and get crap for support...

Next the product...
It has to be quality..
Readily available..
will it have a long productive life...
will it do more than I need it to....
is it a good value over it's life of service... (decades of use over a very short life)
will it protect my bottom line...
will it go the extra mile...
will it go obsolete or become disposable in short order...
tools and tooling that don't cut the mustard, die an early death, suffer down time, hurt production and the bottom line need to be left on the store shelf and avoided...
w/ trying out/using most of the major brands and experiencing poor support/rapport from some to many and through the process of elimination I went w/ and favor Freud bits/tooling and Bosch routers...

Opinion...

Both, Bosch and Freud's CS/TS is next level outstanding...
their products have proven to be a good value...
this goes for Whiteside or Sommerfield(?) bits and their CS/TS also...
Well, where did all that come from? In view of the above, why do you usually give a one word remark like "crap" which doesn't help a newcomer to make a decision.

This is interesting: https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/who-makes-the-best-tools/32628/

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Well Stick I must stand in the naughty corner for missing all those old posts of yours. Perhaps from now on you will give reasons for derogatory posts so as not to confuse newcomers. Some good may come out of this thread after all.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
derogatory???

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
derogatory???

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Derogatory)
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
"Name slur" redirects here. For other uses of slur, see Slur (disambiguation).

A pejorative (also called a derogatory term,[1] a slur, a term of disparagement) is a word or grammatical form expressing a negative connotation or a low opinion of someone or something, showing a lack of respect for someone or something.[2] It is also used to express criticism, hostility, or disregard. Sometimes, a term is regarded as pejorative in some social or ethnic groups but not in others, or may be originally pejorative and eventually be adopted in a non-pejorative sense (or vice versa) in some or all contexts.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
And I'm a Chevy guy.....c'mon guys. I happen to like Bosch but I can't and won't say they are the best. For me they work great but maybe not so for others. And a Ford will get me where I need to go as well. Clearly there are some brands/models that should be avoided but aside from that it's all a bias of sorts. I did like that Lincoln we rented in Florida but....that Dodge in Hawaii wasn't so bad I guess......just saying.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I just spent the last couple of hours doing a couple of hundred ft. of roundovers with my new Bosch Colt. I love it! :)
It's surprisingly quiet and barely got warm to the touch. It's a bit heavier to hold one handed than my old Ryobi, but I'm not complaining;really rugged little trim router.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best router

D-link is the best router, I used the past 6 months but I hadn't faced any issue, and if you buy a Dual Band router for your home and small business its perfect for you. In D-link Router Signal Strength is very good it always has the full signal. D-link sends me a notification always on my Facebook page when the new update available if you want to update about the D-link router you just visit my Facebook page and hit the like button.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
In my research for projects, I came up with some things that a compact router would make a whole lot easier. I was thinking Dremel, but thinking that would only be good for one thing for me, not more. Not sure if a trim router would work for everything, yet, but think it could do what the Dremel could also. Never used a trim router; so thinking I will get one of the el cheapo trim routers, around $24 or $25, and see if it will do what I want. If it does, then when it dies I will upgrade. And, if it won't, I won't be out much.
A poster on another forum (or maybe it was this one?) described how he had "several" trim routers permanently set up to do specific tasks - e.g. he had a pair set up to cut lock miter cuts on the ends of drawer components so when making drawers there was no time spent installing bits, setting them and making trial cuts - pick it up, turn on the switch and it was ready to go cutting either the mating rabbet and dado. I liked the idea so went ahead and picked up a couple of the little MLCS trim routers on sale and have been pretty happy with them so far although I just have the one set up to trim edge banding and the other to cut a 1/8" roundover.

A couple of negatives though

- check the base lock, adjust it so that it locks securely and then check occasionally.
- the edge guide is junk. I made larger baseplates for mine and plan to make one specifically to use with an edge guide similar to that shown in the photo attached, just need to dig out that piece of acrylic I have lying around somewhere.
- the dust collection works surprisingly well, it just took a little searching to find an adapter to fit the outlet.

Just got on their web site and it looks as if the price has gone up a little from what I remember, now $70 when bundled with $20 worth of bits - and actually bits that most people would use too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A poster on another forum (or maybe it was this one?) described how he had "several" trim routers permanently set up to do specific tasks - e.g. he had a pair set up to cut lock RABBET cuts on the ends of drawer components so when making drawers there was no time spent installing bits, setting them and making trial cuts - pick it up, turn on the switch and it was ready to go cutting either the mating rabbet and dado. I liked the idea so went ahead and picked up a couple of the little MLCS trim routers on sale and have been pretty happy with them so far although I just have the one set up to trim edge banding and the other to cut a 1/8" roundover.

A couple of negatives though

- check the base lock, adjust it so that it locks securely and then check occasionally.
- the edge guide is junk. I made larger baseplates for mine and plan to make one specifically to use with an edge guide similar to that shown in the photo attached, just need to dig out that piece of acrylic I have lying around somewhere.
- the dust collection works surprisingly well, it just took a little searching to find an adapter to fit the outlet.

Just got on their web site and it looks as if the price has gone up a little from what I remember, now $70 when bundled with $20 worth of bits - and actually bits that most people would use too.
My apologies, what I should have typed, obviously, was lock rabbet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found this post when I am comparing Makita RT0701CX8 and Bosch GKF125CEPK combo kits. Kinda late to the game here, to me (a newbie) it seems like the key feature Bosch has over the Makita is the LED light...Makita does have more components in the kit...

So would the LED light be useful in reallife OR it is more a gimmicky thing...?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Mixed; you can always clip on a small LED flashlight if you feel you need one. Personally i need a LOT of light in my shop (or kitchen for that matter). As we age our need for task lighting increases.
Tom ('Desert Rat Tom') can likely give a great explanation for that; it's his field of expertise. \
Getting my cataracts done helped hugely.
I have the Bosch and i really like using it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Found this post when I am comparing Makita RT0701CX8 and Bosch GKF125CEPK combo kits. Kinda late to the game here, to me (a newbie) it seems like the key feature Bosch has over the Makita is the LED light...Makita does have more components in the kit...

So would the LED light be useful in reallife OR it is more a gimmicky thing...?
Hello and welcome to the forums N/A...
We're happy you found us...

I have MRC23's w/ the lights...
very very helpful...

I have both, Makita and Bosch...
I feel the Bosch is the superior tool and here in the US I've found the CS/TS from Bosch outstanding and Makita's leaving a lot to be desired...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just a suggestion but if you can actually go somewhere that has these models on display I find it extremely helpful to see how the tool feels in my hands. The placement of the switch, the weight, many considerations. That said I bought my Bosch on reputation alone and my experience with the 1617EVPKS.
While I did I the same thing as you for the same reasons, the Makita seems to offer more for the money. Too late for me but not for the OP...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
OP here, I really liked a lot about the Makita kit, but in the end, I picked up the Bosch kit based upon Sticks comments (CS & TS), and all of my research.

I really like the LED light on my Craftsman router and after using a router with a light to illuminate the work I can't imagine not having the feature, I am also not a young guy so the light seems essential.

The Bosch kit is running $190ish recently, The Makita closer to $237.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a DW 611 which is a little bigger than the two mentioned. It has an LED built in and it does make jobs where you need to freehand rout much easier. Like Dan, I need way more light these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums N/A...
We're happy you found us...

I have MRC23's w/ the lights...
very very helpful...

I have both, Makita and Bosch...
I feel the Bosch is the superior tool and here in the US I've found the CS/TS from Bosch outstanding and Makita's leaving a lot to be desired...
Thanks! Guess would order the bosch then...

61 - 80 of 99 Posts