Router Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
So would the LED light be useful in reallife OR it is more a gimmicky thing...?
No gimmick. Trust me. I free hand route signs, and that light is a HUGE help! I was more than just a little "put out" (as any one of the guys on here will tell you) when I went to use my new Bosch (at the time) and it had no light. I sent a scathing email to Bosch asking how they can be so incredible in their routers, but leave out something so basic as a light on a trim router... I ended up buying a couple small clip-on lights for when I use it. Eric Rhoten (makeasign.com) has a setup on his 120 that I may try and mimick for mine.

This morning, I told Ken about the 125, and how they integrated lights. Guess what I asked for my birthday this year?? (That, and a cordless jig saw....).

My cordless router is a DeWalt trim. I went with it for two reasons. One: I have the corded, and it's been very good to me. Other than my issue with the plunge, it's been great. And two: All of Ken's cordless tools are DeWalt. Makes sense to "keep it in the family" per say. When my battery needs charging, I have like six others on Kens' tool chest charged/getting charged to choose from. We're almost all cordless now. Ken is still buckin for the flashlight, but I nixed that one. We have like 40 flashlights around here: you name the type, chances are, we have it! Just got him the jig saw for Father's Day.

My 25 cents worth (with the so-called "coin shortage" going on, instead of giving my two cents (which is two coins) I'm givin 25 cents - it's only one coin)

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used or even seen a review (i can't find any) on this COSTWAY Fixed&Plundge based router?

Or can recommend me another cheap brand, i would be using it for personal DIY so there's no need for me to spend over £100?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to buy a compact router and I am undecided on which way to go, yes, paralysis analysis, I recognize this.

Based on my research I had pretty much decided on the Bosch GKF125CEPK Kit. I like the Bosch reputation, I like the LED, cord relief, finger placement, clear round base, and other upgrades. The review at; Comparing the Bosch Colt Router GKF125CE to the Older PR20EVS - Concord Carpenter was very helpful. I like the upgrades over the older Bosch PR20EVS model.

I am also looking at the Makita RT0701CX3 Kit, I like the fact that the kit is so inclusive, I like the tilt and offset base, which I don't believe is available on the Bosch, it seems to me that even if you do not use the tilt and offset base regularly, when the specific project arises they would be handy. I do not like that Makita did not include the LED light. I have a Makita tracksaw with 39 and 55 inch rails so that also factors in to the decision to some extent.

As far as intended use, nothing specific, maybe some sign work, woodworking, household projects here and there.

I have looked at the threads in the archives and both seem well liked. I know opinions change over time and hope to get some updated input. Then there is the DeWalt which I haven't looked at in depth. It seems to be well liked too.

One of the reasons I am posting this is also to see if I overlooked some obvious considerations.

Thanks to all for any help.

Edit To Add; Forgot to mention, I have a full size Craftsman router (which I will likely replace or supplement with a full size Bosch soon), so I am buying this as my second router for smaller projects.
Another option is the CMT10, little, versatile, I opted for this because of the big area visible down on the work space (see 550W professional trimmer | CMT Orange Tools).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Perfect!!! Light is probably going to be a huge help for newbie as well :) Going to order the Bosch then...
The light is a huge help for anyone. I have an old black and decker router with a 1/4 shank and had been my favorite for routing around cabinets for the last 20 years. To sneak up on a pencil make required looking, stopping and finally finishing...

Because my routers are old I had no ideal they are now involving lights.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Has anyone used or even seen a review (i can't find any) on this COSTWAY Fixed&Plundge based router?

Or can recommend me another cheap brand, i would be using it for personal DIY so there's no need for me to spend over £100?
If you want cheap, look at ryobi. They ain't much but they work. Ebay may be your best bet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have comments about the Makita plunge base? I find the depth settings are not easy to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just saw this thread. I am also considering buying a Bosch or Makita laminate trimmer kit with plunge base for guitar building. I currently use the Porter Cable 690 ( workhorse for sure).
in my looking at these I found on the Makita’s kit they list the plunge base as :plunge Base (195563-0). Looking that up I think this base has been discontinued. Not that it makes a difference. I guess you could just use it till it falls apart, but still I like something I can find parts for.
I’m still looking at the Bosch. What I’ve read so far is that there is a somewhat hidden part in the kit that you can use with the edge guide. In the Makita kit, at least two people have complained that the little adapter to use the edge guide is not in the kit. You have to buy another $27 part.
Now, for me, I have an older laminate trimmer from Makita, the 3700B. I’m trying to find out if the new base will fit the old trimmer. I guess I could buy the base and try it and if it doesn’t work I could buy the new trimmer separate. But, it would cost around $180 instead of $145, probably minus the little part.
if I go with the Bosch, it’s going to be a cool $220. More but it has a case anyway. That’s a plus.

I’m still undecided. I got by with the 690 but it is a bit big for the areas of use. For some guys that trim around the guitar body to “let in“ the binding they all seem to use a laminate trimmer with a cool looking jig. When I made my first one, I used a scribe around the guitar and a chisel. Took forever but I didn’t have a runaway bit either😜.
Tim C

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Dewalt 611 on my cnc and one with a plunge base. The Dewalt is 1.25 hp. I have also had a Makita that is 1.25 hp. The Makita is a good router bit the bearings tend to wear out quickly. The Bosch Colt is only 1.0 hp. The Dewalt and Makita are solid routers. I have had several larger Bosch routers I was never impressed with.

Opinions vary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, right now, I’m kind of leaning to the Makita. I’m trying to find how the plunge base attaches to the router itself. Is it a clamp mechanism? If so, I could probably use the base with the older 3700B, although that is a plastic base, not aluminum.
im not fond of buying the kit with a discontinued plunge base either. It just may be worth my while to buy each separate.
Tim
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Look at the Dewalt 611 on Amazon. Plunge base is solid. The base plate that comes with router is half round and square on other side. For a fre bucks you can get a round base that accepts porter cable style template bushings.

The Dewalt and Makita have precision collets for 1/4 and 1/8 at elairecorp.com. The collets are reasonable and you can get metric sizes also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
still looking for the 611. It’s not on Amazon, but I saw the base supposedly fits the 611 and the 20volt perfect. If m not mistaken, it doesn’t come as a kit? I’ll keep searching.
T

·
Official Greeter
19,363 Posts
G'day @Tim C , welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Tim C

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well Hello,
All the way down under! It’s nice to be able to share info all over the world! I have added comments above to a discussion some 8 months ago.
I guess you can see I’m thinking of embellishing my router arsenal. I use Porter Cable 690, both fixed base and plunge base. I traded tenon cutter for a 3 1/4 HP Porter Cable but haven’t used it yet. The last one I have is an older Makita 3700 B. Great little trimmer but no plunge base.
The same man that gave me the big router also gave me a wonderful router table that looks really usable.
However, my workshop here in Santa Barbara, California is out on my patio. Everything I’ve made has been done there in fact. A few tables, a mission style footstool and even a couple of bases for telescopes I built.
My last, but not least project was a classical guitar.
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Plucked string instruments
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

All these projects used the router in one way or another. But now, I think my endeavor is to get a compact router with plunge base for the jobs that fit its use. Mainly the lighter delicate cuts for clearing a rosette channel or binding channels on guitars. Or clearing a channel for a carbon fiber rod to stiffen the neck on these guitars.
That‘s enough for now. I think a basic picture of me is drawn for you. I would consider myself to be have average ability with routers. Basic stuff really. Going to be 73 this January and I think a nice little router would make a really nice way to celebrate.

Nice to make your acquaintance!!
Tim C

81 - 99 of 99 Posts