Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a project. Which will do a better job? A straight cut bit with bearing on top to follow template, or a guide with a straight cut bit?
Bud

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,905 Posts
Bud,

I use both techniques. Guides are nice for 2 reasons: I can use a spiral bit if needed, and, I'm less likely to damage the template. That being said, using pattern bits is fast and easy. You don't have to worry about offsets in making your templates, you just cut the exact shape you want.

Depending on how many items you are going to be making from your template, using a guide might be the way to go. If it is just one or two cuts, the pattern bit might be best.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,941 Posts
Hi Trap, I'm sure that other members of this forum won't be surprised*when I tell you that template guides are the way to go,don't be put off by the thought of off-sets, there is nothing to it, I and of course Template Tom have covered this in previous posts. There are of course still uses for bearing cutters as I shall show in a few days when I post a photo-shoot of the making of a small simple coffee table
* The fact that I am an an ex-student of Template Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts