Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening!
Due to a misfortune drop to the concrete, my trusty 30 year old Craftsman fixed based router needs to be replaced. I have narrowed it down to the Dewalt and the Bosch routers. Additionally, I will be purchasing a PORTER-CABLE Dovetail Jig with Mini Template Kit (4216)
. I want to make some memory boxes and a rifle display case to hang on my wall. Dovetails will meet the needs for both of these projects.

I am hoping someone will be willing to give me their opinions on my two router choices. The Dewalt comes with a 3 year warranty, while the Bosch has a 1 year. I have a coupon for 10% off at the big orange box store. Both router kits come with fixed and plunge and are priced within $20.00 of each other.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!
Happy Holidays!

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input. The other thing I found on research is the bushings from the Porter Cable dovetail jig do not fit the Bosch router, although the reviews state they do fit the Dewalt. Again, I appreciate your time!

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys. I’ve used both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Dewalt is easier handheld whereas the Bosch is better for depth adjustment. Power wise id say about the same. Bosch’s bearings aren’t as good either unless you rebuild with quality SKF high speed bearings like I did with mine. Just my 2 cents worth.
I appreciate your comments, thanks so much. It seems like everything has it's strengths and weaknesses. Even something as simple as the dovetail jig...... I believe I will be purchasing the dewalt router to accompany the porter cable dovetail jig. I am excited to go beyond pocket holes and into some true joinery. Something I haven't done before but think it will be exceptionally cool. Happy Holidays Bentley!

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks sir! I appreciate your opinion. I still haven’t ordered my router and jig yet. I am waiting for a gift card to arrive that will knock off another 10.00. I am, however, curious about your CNC. I will send you a message regarding using a router vs a after cooled spindle. I am getting ready to order my CNC and have some questions for you.

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the Dewalt has dust collection, but only on the plunge base. The Bosch doesn’t appear to have any. Additionally, the Porter Cable jig I am looking at has guides that will fit the Dewalt but from other forums, not the Bosch directly. The jig is out of stock at HD but the router kit is still available.
Jake

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bosch has their own system for mounting guide bushings, which uses a bayonet locking mount. To use the more common PC-type guides (as are included with the dovetail jig), the RA1129 adapter is needed to use with the regular Bosch base plate. Alternatively, you could buy an aftermarket base plate (such as from Rockler) that will accept the bushings without an adapter. Good luck!
Thank you! Amazon actually sells the adapter alongside the PC dovetail jig.

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ordered the Dewalt, should be here mid week. I will do,a,review once I get to using it. I am very appreciative of everyone who took time to answer the thread.

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I have been using the Dewalt router, and I must admit I am not very happy with it for a couple of reasons.

1. The base plate isn’t centered approximately.
2. They don’t include a centering tool (an additional 15.00 on Amazon)
3. The screws to the base plate doesn’t allow for movement (if I can even get them loose)
4. Depth adjustment is difficult at best and down right frustrating.
5. The instructions are poor and require flipping back and forth to understand what “lever c” is.

thinking I may do the 90 day no questions asked return and find something else.
I am attempting to learn dovetails and not having the bit centered in the bushing is detrimental to learning the joint.
Thanks for listening!
Jake

· Registered
Sawdust maker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How true you are Joe! I already am thinking a second router for through dovetails, or at least a motor for the plunge base I already have. Did get my PC dovetail jig to do what I purchased it for. I figured out three things. One, quality of wood makes a huge difference. Two, the base router plate does have play on it to adjust. Three, Dewalt should have included the centering cone in a 200.00 router.
take care and I will put finished pictures when it’s completed.
Jake Wood Flooring Floor Wall Wood stain

Wood Flooring Floor Wall Wood stain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.