Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thats a hell of a job with a plunge router, do you not have a drill press?
Plus one for the drill press. Getting the router bit centered in just the right spot so many times seems a daunting task. Chuck up a ball-nose bit in your drill press and run it at top speed.

Reactions: Shop guy

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
If you are going to do this with a router, make a template on the drill press and then use a bushing on the router to cut the board.
If you are doing only one ,just use the drill press with the router bit. You might want to dimple the hole first with a small drill bit to act like a pilot to keep the ball bit from wandering on the drill press. Also putting the drill press on highest speed with the router bit.

Herb

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was going to make a Chinese checker board once, but found that the post on my drill press would not allow me to reach far enough. I would have to make a template and use a plunge router with a guide bushing to accomplish it. I never made it sorry to say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a triton m0f001 what sort of bush would I get for this to achieve what I'm looking to do. I'm completely new to routers and the techniques involved to do different things.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm completely new to routers and the techniques involved to do different things.
since you say that...
here's some reading that may help you out...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
and some more...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
more ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
I have a triton m0f001 what sort of bush would I get for this to achieve what I'm looking to do. I'm completely new to routers and the techniques involved to do different things.
The internal diameter must allow a reasonable clearance between it and the bit. Kits of template guides are available for the Tritons but in Australia they are VERY expensive but much cheaper in other countries. It would have been possible to point you in the right direction if your profile had been completed.

https://stusshed.com/2008/01/26/triton-router-template-guides/

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
To me, this is a job for a drill press with a ball nose bit. The result will be the same, but it is far easier to do with a drill press, particularly one with a laser.

If you use a router, I'd also consider using straight lines so you can use a clamped on straight edge to align all the holes. Butt the router base up to the straight edge. Set the depth stop so the depth is limited and consistent. Then all you have to do is get the spacing between holes the same. Which would be much easier with a square base on your router. You can put a reference mark on the routher and lay out the spacing on the straight edge. Voila, even, straight spacing. The curve will be much harder to do accurately.

I'd lay this out on a large sheet of butcher paper. You can punch small holes precisely where you want to drill, then transfer the mark through the paper with a marker. You'll be drilling out those marks, but it will really help you with alignment later.

OK, that's my 37 cents worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.