Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a router soon. I am going to be building cabinet doors as well as the cabinets themselves. I am also going to be working wiht acrylic for aquariums. I don't really know if these are considered heavy duty projects. I need something that is very manuverable, not to heavy. I see that most people choose dewalt, but I think that they are just buying the name. Maybe I am wrong. I will be buying a router table, as well as guides,and I think that I need a plunge base as well. WHat would be your top two choices and why? thanx,Marc

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi marcrunner

This is always a hard one , But I would recommend P.C.

The ones below are great routers and you have the best of both worlds, a plunge router and a base for the router table with one router motor that will do both jobs.
The one for 290.oo bucks is a better buy with a bit more power.

Porter Cable 1-3/4 hp, 10 amp Router Kit
or
895PK Porter-Cable 2 1/4 Peak HP, Multi-Base Router Kit w/Router Table Height Adjuster

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=00926845000
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-.../ref=sr_1_15/002-0302636-3477615?ie=UTF8&s=hi

http://www.mikestools.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=895PK&affid=6
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-.../ref=sr_1_10/002-0302636-3477615?ie=UTF8&s=hi

But if you like Dewalt and I do also,see below
Plus some extra items like the D-Hand base, that would be nice to have I have one for my PC but it did cost 40.oo bucks as extra add on item.

DEWALT DW618B3 2-1/4 HP 3-Base Router Kit
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618B...8/ref=sr_1_2/002-0302636-3477615?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Bosch below
Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Plunge and Fixed Base Router Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVS.../ref=sr_1_14/002-0302636-3477615?ie=UTF8&s=hi

You can find PC's just about anywhere, the best way b/4 you put your bucks on the counter ,stop by one of the many outlets and put your hands on one and get the feel of it.

Bj :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think that the beauty of that question is in the eye of the beholder. I to at one time posted about the same question and everyone will give you different answer as to why one is better than the other. Let's get that out of the way first. I like the Bosch 1617evspk. It is a 2 base kit, plunge and fixed with an interchangeable motor. Has a 2 1/4 hp motor and is a beauty.

But, more importantly, first decide if you want plunge, fixed, or both bases as part of your router. That elimination will head you in a certain direction. Then once that is decided, go to the store and put them in your hands. Get a feel for them. Get an idea for what you do and don't like for each of them and make notes. The tool has to suit the needs of the user and it also has to comfortable for them to use as well.

When I started reading reviews and researching routers, I thought that I wanted the PC 895pk until I got it in my hands. The Bosch flet more at home once I had a chance to get a feel for it.

The Bosch and PC that I have mentioned are very similar in what the will and will not do. Think of the process as a large funnel. Start with what you do and don't want in a router. Keep narrowing them down to a few choices then get them in your hand. Then get the one that suits your needs and is comfortable for you to work with.

·
Registered
618 Posts
marcrunner,

If you want the most router for the money you might want to check out Hitachi. I had a PC 690 which I loved but I needed more power so I got a Hitachi. The KM12VC is a kit with the 2.25 HP variable speed motor, fixed and plunge bases, a basic set set of template guides and a centering pin. You can put your hands on one at Lowes but if you watch Amazon they come on sale all the time for around $100.

So far mine has worked flawlessly.

Rusty

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
If you are looking for the lowest price the Hitachi KM12VC is unbeatable. Many members have reported being very satisfied with it. Hitachi styled this router after the long standing champ, the Bosch 1617. The 1617 has always been the winner of router comparison testing. (Mind you the Hitachi is a newer model and has not been in any of the tests) Both of these routers perform well, but they have a very different feel in your hands! Chances are you will like one and not the other. I own several routers and the Bosch 1617 is my favorite. If you look to purchase the Bosch you will want the 1617EVSPK, and make sure it has the new through the table height adjustment fixed base. The switch problem was on a limited number of routers and is history. Both of mine and my friends had no problems, I think 3 members bought units with the defective switches and all were replaced at no charge. Sears sells the 26620 router which is a 1617 clone built by Bosch but uses the Craftsman guide bushings.(A poor choice since they are plastic) So there are my two choices and my reasons why. That having been said, all major name brand 2+ HP routers will get the job done.and it is a matter of personal choice as to which feels right to you.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The only answer I have to this is... whatever router "feels" right in your hands. Meaning, it has to be comfortable for YOU to operate. Try different brands that should be on display, if they don't feel right, stay clear of them.

Just my $0.02 worth :D

·
Banned
666 Posts
marcrunner said:
I am going to be purchasing a router soon. I am going to be building cabinet doors as well as the cabinets themselves. I am also going to be working wiht acrylic for aquariums. I don't really know if these are considered heavy duty projects. I need something that is very manuverable, not to heavy. I see that most people choose dewalt, but I think that they are just buying the name. Maybe I am wrong. I will be buying a router table, as well as guides,and I think that I need a plunge base as well. WHat would be your top two choices and why? thanx,Marc
Marc

You may be correct Marc
People do buy by name. Not a good idea
Purchase a router with the knowledge that it is capable of doing what YOU want to do.
Personally I would never purchase a router that was not capable of taking Template Guides especially the 40mm guide
The template guide is the most important accessory available for the router.
If you look at what the router can be used for in the router table and compare it with what can be achieved in the plunge mode with the aid of the template guide there is no comparison.
Make a list of what you can do in the router table for a start
Then consider what can be achieved in the plunge mode with the aid of template guides (subject to you appreciating the advantages of the Template guides)
Happy routing Marc
Tom

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Please be aware that the 40 MM guide bushing Tom loves is only available in the UK and Australia.

·
Registered
782 Posts
which router is right

here is what i have 2 of them Pc The Porter-Cable 694VK Includes:
• router motor • base #1001 • 1/4" collet #42999 • 1/2" collet #42950
• collet wrenches #42596 • carrying case • plunge base #6931 • operating manual.

and also they were when i bought mine a free D handle I belive around $200 Which i thought was a good deal So i bought 2 of them So far they have done a good job for me I will get some bigger ones later you never can have to many routers and bases I have 5 routers and 5 bases Haven't figured out how to use them all at once del

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi my name is tom.........i love my hitachi m12 3 1/2 hp great router a little heavy but not too, great for table,,,,,,,,, i have 4 routhers and thats my favoite,,,tool crib has the best bye,,,,,,,,any questions ,,,,,,,,,tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.