Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Interested in a new router? Currently building the table that is on the router workshop. 1 How much HP, 2 Plunge vs fixed, 3 fixed vs variable speed, Brand???

Plan on using it for joints, cabinet doors, some moulding
thankyou for the help
Tim Schmidt

·
Registered
195 Posts
tjschmi1 said:
Hello, Interested in a new router? Currently building the table that is on the router workshop. 1 How much HP, 2 Plunge vs fixed, 3 fixed vs variable speed, Brand???

thankyou for the help
Tim Schmidt
If you are going to utilize it in a table, then I think you would put good use to a variable speed, plunge router in the 2 to 3 hp range. I have three, one is not variable speed, don't use it much at all.
steveo

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would buy a combo kit like PC 694 or 800 series.You can attach the fixed base to your table and when you need the router..spin it out and put it in the plunge base..
I have the 694 its only 1 3/4 but will still do raised panels..I think the 800 series is 2 1/4 hp.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
tjschmi1 said:

thankyou for the help
Tim Schmidt

Hello tjschmi1, Welcome to the RouterForums :)

Go to HomeDepot, Lowes and Sears and pick up the routers in your hand and see which one feels right to you. A 2 to 3.5 Hp. A Combo Pack. Variable Speed. I bought the Bosch 1617 Combo pack and like it. I have my fixed base in the router table and plunge for when ever I need to use it for other things. I also use a trim Router from HF to do my round over and some small trim free hand stuff.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The fellas are all giving good advice. I have an 890 P-Cable with both bases. The fixed base stays in the table insert and the plunge is on stand-by. In my limited experience (have a couple other smaller routers) the 890 is an excellent product. Plenty of power and reasonable easy to set etc. Try to get something good from the start. It'll make life a lot easier. I know!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Like GoonMan said, having comfort in your router should be the first thing that you look for. I looked at a PC 890 series and Bosch 1617evs. The Bosch was the one for me when I put it in my hands (I have big hands). It just felt more natural in my hands. I love the machine. It does everything that I want it to do and more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
RH111 i also have the Bosch 1617 and the plunge base is light, pistol grip handles are excellent and it runs like a dream.
All i need to find is DC and Bushings and it will be complete.

Bus

·
Registered
143 Posts
RH111, There is a good article in this months WWJ covering Pros & Cons of table mounted & hand held routers. It covers a lot of the variables concerning routers. Good luck......Chuck

·
Banned
666 Posts
I have still to purchase a 'fixed base' router and I have nine routers in my workshop all plunge which can be used in the router table.

When I was in the cabinetmaking business before retiring I had at least three routers insertd in the router table all for specific purposes One of the the largest Elu was never used in the plunge mode ever.(Too large to handle)
My favourite brands are Makita Hitachi and Triton in that order.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts