Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, after seeing the day-clock that Oliver (@Gaffboat) posted, I decided to make one for my better half's birthday. I took my time with it and here it is, out of a chunk of 4x2 pine.

If I was doing it again I'd build it from top down, and have the base screwed on so I could remove the glass (plastic) and the dial, but I'm pleased with it and, more importantly, so is he.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sweet!!!!

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Nice work, Angie. You made a memorable gift that I know is well appreciated.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking clock! I love the finish, the wood is too pretty to hide.
I used antique pine clear satin varnish, definately shows the grain up.

Copy Cat!.......
Well, I did tell Oliver I was going to copy it :D

Nice work, Angie. You made a memorable gift that I know is well appreciated.
He says it's the first present that someone has made for him, and he loved it. Gotta admit I appreciate it too as I'm the one who loses track of the days ;)

This might be an appropriate piece to have on the face ... in small text:
The Clock Of Life ... A Poem From The Heart Of Wrens World To Inspire and Encourage
Whoa, how big do you think the face is :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great job Angie, what a birthday present for John.

Did you design and print the clock face on your computer, if so, what software did you use?

My very best friend is retiring in September, and I think that would make a great present to him.

Thanks for sharing your design.

BE WELL

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is great to see the grain pop up! Congrats!..
Thanks Sid, I think I may have been lucky with the grain when I picked up the 4x2 scrap that was laying around.

......What did you use to design the face?.....
I used Corel Paint Shop Pro X2, an old version by todays standards. I've used it for a long time but had no idea how to manipulate text along curves and such. Had to learn that before I could complete it, but it's something else I have in my knowledge banks now.

Great job Angie, what a birthday present for John.
Did you design and print the clock face on your computer, if so, what software did you use?
My very best friend is retiring in September, and I think that would make a great present to him.
To say he was surprised is an understatement. Especially as I'm in the middle of building a mitre saw rolling cabinet.
See above re software.
I think these type of clocks are ideal for retirement, and they're not too common so far.

......I need to make one with "Sat" at each hour.
That would just confuse me even more. John's on shifts and I'm at home everyday, so I really need something to gimme a clue :D

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick's working on one that says 'NAP' at each hour. :)
one at 360°, 90°, 180° another at 270°...
usally not awake to read the in betweens...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ok guys, after seeing the day-clock that Oliver (@Gaffboat) posted, I decided to make one for my better half's birthday. I took my time with it and here it is, out of a chunk of 4x2 pine.

If I was doing it again I'd build it from top down, and have the base screwed on so I could remove the glass (plastic) and the dial, but I'm pleased with it and, more importantly, so is he.
Congrats Angie, very good made and nice gift for him. :wink: Where did you buy the clock? in UK?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the quartz mechanism from dayclox.com. Unless you were intimating I'd bought it :wink:

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"Whoa, how big do you think the face is "
-Angie

Nonono...I meant for generic ones; gifts etc. With small typeface.
Nobody's gonna read it anyway... lol

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
@vindaloo

Great work. I need to make a couple of these post haste. Any chance you can upload the Corel file? I'm not fluent in those packages so that would be a great starter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts