Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an order for a Makita 8 1/4 circular saw to go with my Ez track saw from EurekaZone to be able to cut 2 inch stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I splurged and ordered a Veritas combination plane. It’s something I don’t have to have since I have routers to do what this hand plane does, but cutting groves and rabbits and beads by hand when doing small jobs sounds appealing to me. No noise, back to basics.

If you are familiar to a Stanley 45, this is a modern take on that classic.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75620&cat=1,230,41182,75620

I forgot to mention, they are sold out until After Christmas, so I have to be patient.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have a Muscle Chuck on order. Planning to buy Marc Sommerfeld's tongue & rabbet bit set and it looks as if the offset wrench isn't going to reach down far enough into the router table.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Last couple of times I visited Rockler, I found that I already have every tool and accessory I want. So, nothing's on order but a few sheets of 18mm BB for a little 3 drawer dresser for my honey. We had a discussion of what do we want for Christmas, and finally decided we have a full house, so we're sending a nice check to Samaritan's Purse, an organization that makes really good use of every dollar. Then we went for breakfast the other day and met a retired pilot who flys their plane all over the world on relief flights. He let us know that charity is for real.

I knew when I retired, my income would go way down, so I bought everything I wanted. Now, I'm set. And the garage shop is insulated, the outside shop is fully equipped. Life is good.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Got a Stanley Sweetheart #62, low angle plane. The brown truck delivered it Tuesday. Now, I gotta make a wider shooting board.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Dr T,

Regret the retirement thing yet, or is it too early to decide??

Won't be long and you'll wonder when you ever had time to work.

Oh, and I wanted another CNC for Xmas. Accounting dept. said NO! Guess I'll have to settle for the Aspire 9.0 upgrade. Ask for big, and then settle for what you originally wanted.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'd rather have the DC. My SIL and BIL go on at least two cruises a year. They spend money to do nothing. There is nothing that appeals to me. I can loaf at home. I could use a couple more turning tools but will see what Santa does this year.
Edit: We support Samaritan's Purse, too. Run by Franklin Graham. Read his book, Rebel With A Cause. Tells how he came up with the idea. One of the best charities.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
We’ll I did buy the Festool domino jointer a few months back, so I guess that’s my Christmas present taken care of early :).
I’m trying to buy one outlandishly priced tool a year ,so if I live long enough, eventually I’ll have them all.

Was hoping for a CNC router table next Christmas, but on next years work schedule, I lost a ton of oncall time , which equates to about an $18,000 reduction in pay a year :(

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I keep telling myself I really do need a Fe$tool Domino....
Ye$, me too. I've been watching Peter Millard's YouTube channel, and he uses one pretty extensively. I guess it's my Scottish upbringing but, at this point in my life, I really can't justify the cost when I have a - was going to say perfectly good, but it's the first model P-C which has a few drawbacks - plate joiner that does the job, plus the pocket hole jig so I'm assembling cabinets with a combination of the two. I am going to spring for a set of Marc Sommerfeld's tongue and groove router bits - just bought the Muscle Chuck for the router table as it looks as if the spindle nut on the P-C router is going to be way down below the table and make changing bits without losing the depth setting pretty difficult. Sure do like that Domino though - if you check out his channel, he has a slick way of making drawers; just straight butt joints at the corners, but he then plunges through the finished corner and installs a domino through the side and into the end - quick and easy, and looks as if it will hold up well to hard use. I have a ton of drawers to make for the next phase of my shop overhaul, and that would be a quick way to build them, although I'll probably wind up setting up the router table and the table saw to make rabbet and dado joints (probably just as quick and strong, and plus all the tools are paid for).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I always thought I’d want a Festool domino, and still may get the 700XL because of the new take apart connectors which would be great for things like bed rails and for people on the move who could benefit from being able disassemble their furniture.

However, the advantages of using loose tenons because they are faster and easier than mortise and tenon joints has been greatly reduced since buying a Leigh FMT Pro. It can make mortise and tenon joints almost as fast, but it can make far more sizes of joints, and it can do it on angles.

https://www.leighjigs.com/images/fmt/fmt_overview_3.jpg

Picture from Leigh, not something I’ve yet mastered.

Oh, and it can do floating tenons as well. Big advantage of the domino is you can take it to the workpiece rather than taking workpiece to the tool.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I must confess however that I took an early Christmas present in the form of that new Super Max drum sander.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts