Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the yootoobs suggested a set of vix bits, I ordered them from amazon, and they are the worst grade of Chinesium I have ever seen.
Almost every one of them have fallen apart or failed within the first use.

Reviews for the Vick company (the original manufacturer?) are dismal.

I don't mind paying good money for good tools.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bosch have reasonable quality vix bits

M
I tend to read the reviews on things, and always take them with a grain of salt, especially when they're all 5 star.
But if someone is so displeased with a product that they take their time to post a negative review, I tend to believe them more because companies don't offer reimbursements for bad reviews.
The reviews on the Bosch bits are rather mixed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My biggest problems with vix type bits is getting a good centered bit. After I have broke several I went to HF and bought replacements. Still not perfect but works okay.

The Lee Valley are expensive. I assume they should be great but may not be. There's Garrett Wade as well...
Collection Bottle Shelving Paint Cylinder

·
Registered
53 Posts
@BBQJoe
needless to say I don't get any $$ from bosch (unfortunately)
From my personal experience of using a few brands of such bits - they are all similar quality.
Essentially this is a simple mechanism with very little precision since the degree of centricity for such tasks is low (compared say to router or shaper bits that spin very fast)

The main issue IMHO is the quality of the drill itself - which is pretty good for the bosch, and having the whole thing not brake up if it's too fragile or the set screw is not well made.

In short - I feel fine with the bosh, haven't tried the lee valley but just from looking at them I really doubt they are much better than anything else.

Ymmv etc

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts