Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Interesting read but I suspect ever changing as they big boys seem to wheel and deal constantly. B&D, who would have thought they actually owned so many quality brands, hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Craftsman used to contract out their power tools. A circular saw could be made by several companies over the years. Had a customer, Singer Motor Products in Pickens, SC, who made power tools back in the early 70s.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As far as I know Sears didn't make anything. Their brand such as Craftsman and Kenmore were sent out for bid with their specs. Lowest bid got the contract. They actually had some good stuff in their day and made by good solid companies.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Very interesting. My dad worked as a supervisor for Xcelite tools in Orchard Park, NY after WWII till 1967 when he passed away . They originally were called Orchard Park Metal Ware. They make allot of electronic tools and screwdrivers. I still have a nice collection. I used to spend some time with him at the factory on weekends and holidays checking the heat treating furnaces they never took a day off. He taught me allot about metal working and tempering steel. I remember when Xcelite was bought by Cooper group in the early 70s and moved the factory to the North Carolina, now they are owned by Apex.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bosch owns Freud? No wonder their blades and bits are generally so good.
But they also own Diabolo, the "cheap" Freud...

I think the owner doesn't matter that much. Each brand has it's own level of quality. Sometime the quality is consistent (lower or higher...), and sometimes it varies (if they contract out on specs, each batch can have a different quality). It's hard to make a buying decision based just on perceived quality of the brand's owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.