Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I feel like it has been so long since I've created something that I wanted to do that I don't even remember what my sawdust looks like. ":^)

Those of you who do woodworking for a living have a different perspective on "their" sawdust, so try only to look at projects that you do as giveaways.

For me, it is a different feeling when I'm doing something I want to do... I'm more relaxed and I can take the time to take in the experience, smell the scents that remind me of my father in his workshop so many years ago and just lose myself in the project.

When it is for someone else, I am more mechanical and go about it as if it were a job. The "reward" is in the giving. There is no feeling like seeing someone who truly appreciates your effort.

So, whos sawdust in better, your or theirs?

Mike

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I am for the mine, sounds greedy but I remember my grandpa's workshop....But I do enjoygiving away projects for family and freinds most of these are something I wanted to make so it's all enjoyable

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Warren, maybe I'm just missing doing some of my own stuff since its been a while.

Mike

·
Registered
989 Posts
I guess my sawdust these days, is always theirs, this is so because my controller has told me that we don't have room for any more projects in the home, I must admit that, 15 or so pieces of furniture in our small bungalow on top of her purchases is getting to be a bit much, so theirs.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I sell and give away, the same quality goes into both, in fact on our up coming trip to Moab I intend to give several pieces away. When I can sell something, or custom build for someone, I have no problem selling it. I will not sell or give away anything I Am not satisfied with.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I kind of go along with Derek most of mine is for someone else... I have not sold much as I do not want my playing around in the shop to become a job, but have sold a few things ....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am realizing my post is a bit ambiguous... which is okay, because it gets me to think about the basic enjoyment of woodworking without regards of who it is for.

Mike

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I like the Question it kinda makes Ya think about all Ya do and who Ya doin it for

1 - 10 of 10 Posts