Router Forums banner

Why coasters?

6K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  Barry747 
#1 ·
I have a lot of scrap. I mean, a lot of scrap. I finally decided it was time to step away from any serious projects and try to get rid of some of it. Problem is, some of what I save is very small. I just can’t throw away wood. I can measure some of it in board inches. I just made that term up but, unfortunately, it’s accurate. So, coasters. Most of them are from scrap but I did have to use some good lumber as part of some of them.

I tried a new holder. Took me a little while to get it right. For the holder I was concerned about gluing the end grain of the vertical piece to the face grain of the bottom so I used my table saw jig for making splines to cut away each corner. The glue up is solid and I think it looks better.

Everything is finished with wipe on poly. After it cured I used 3,600 micromesh to make it baby butt smooth. The bottom of each coaster and the holders are self-adhesive cork.

What am I going to do with them?

Four of them will go to my kids. A few more will go to friends, once I determine which ones are “coaster worthy”. For the remainder, I’m a member of the Florida Westcoast Woodworkers Club. The club supports the Manatee County Food Bank. Each November the food bank has a fund raiser. The turners in the club make soup bowls from wood donated by the lumber yard where we meet. Well, met before the virus hit. Now it’s Zoom meetings. People who buy tickets to the fund raising event get a bowl and a container of soup prepared by local chefs. I’m not a turner so that wasn’t an option for me. However, they also have an auction during the event so I’m contributing the coasters for the auction. At my age, Stick knows that it’s “?” I’m not willing to volunteer for anything out of the house. So, whatever I can make for the food bank will help those with less than I have, and that’s not much. But, it gets rid of those board inch pieces and makes me feel like I’m making a contribution for the greater good at the same time.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Coasters? You mean there are people who actually let go of their can of beer? How amazing.
Get full of coasters, those would make an amazing looking chess board.
Just goes to prove, there is no such thing as scrap wood, only small pieces of wood waiting for an idea on how to use them.

#5 ·
Very imaginative

Hi
Loved your take on the coasters. I myself have been coasting along and looking for something to do as we are still in Lockdown in Scotland. I love the comparison of woods you have utilised. It really makes them pop. Like most woodworkers I am always reluctant to throw away cuttings, but they do gather and clutter the workshop. I like the fact that with your project you don’t need large pieces. Well done. You have given me the impetus to have a go. I need quite a few coasters as I drink quite a lot.

Colin.

#7 ·
Barry,

Like your use of scraps. I get so many cut offs, i.e. scraps that I finally bought an outdoor pit to burn them. Many pieces are walnut. After I get 3-4 tubs, I have to get rid of them. Takes up too much space. Pen turners would love to have some of my walnut cut offs.

Frank

#8 ·
Barry you did a great job making great use of your scrap. Wish my scrap was as nice. Curious how thick the wood on the coasters is? Your holders look very sturdy and well made. These should certainly make the Food Bank very happy and bring a nice price.

Thanks for posting this.

#10 ·
Recently I went through and collected the scraps and glued them back together to make boards to make stuff out of. They turned out quite nice . I used strips down to 1/16' for accent in colors. It takes a bit of work and a lot of glue, But the results are spectacular.

https://www.routerforums.com/show-n-tell/140627-time-again.html

You do need a thickness planer/jointer and a Drum sander,or power sander, like belt sander.
HErb

#11 ·
Those look really nice.

Here's another thought that might give you some inspiration. Crates!

I found some 2x4's in my storage shed from when I built it in 2002 (I think it was, forgot). They were all less than 17 inches in length. I ripped them up and made crates of various sizes. Kept some and gave some to the kids. They still use them.

Attachments

#13 ·
Frank, you burn your scraps. My only comment is "AAAAAhhhhhhh". :crying:

Steve, the coasters are 1/4" final thickness and about 4" square. The base is 5/8".

To make the coasters I glue up panals from 17+" (for 4 coaster sets) to 26+ inches (for 6 coaster sets). I try for anywhere from 1 to 2 inches thick depending on what I have to work with. After planing the glued up panals I resaw them using either my table saw or band saw, depending on how lazy I feel that day, to about 5/8" thick then plane them down to 1/4". Then using my table mounted router, I round over all of the edges with a 1/8" roundover bit. I then cut the long boards into 4" pieces and finish rounding over the edges, all end grain, with the router. If any need sanding I use my ROS. I finish with a few coats of wipe on poly and stick cork on the back.

It'a really not a very complicated process and it does use up some of my scrap. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of very small pieces that i can't think of anything do with and I should throw away but I just can't. I still have a small drawer full of rubber faucet washers. I offered them up to a plumber and he laughed and said he threw his out years ago. I still have mine. Now do you understand why I have wood scraps that are a few inches in size?

#14 ·
all of the scraps from 2 vanities and a Credenza...
1@8', 1@7' and 1@5' wide by 24'' deep and 38'' tall...

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
That's the difference between your skill and my scrap pile. My project would just fit into your scrap bucket and my scrap pile would fill your credenza. Nice looking piece BTW.

Herb and Mike, you're much more creative than I am. I may make somemore cutting boards since some of my scrap is about the right size. Still trying to figure out what to do with the rest.

#20 ·
I like the holder design also and they look nice with the coasters in them. I'm sure everyone that gets a set will enjoy them. The ones leftover for the food bank will bring in needed donations to help the food bank out.

#21 ·
Thanks Herb. That's an excellent idea. Actually, sort of a head slap to me. I don't know how many times I've used fresh lumber because none of my scraps were quite the right size and I didn't want to spend the time going through my many scrap piles to make a glue up. This will be a good project for me. It's now summer in Florida. Yesterday, by the end of the day in my garage shop the temperature was 99 degrees. I can only spend an hour or so in the AM before it gets too hot so short projects are perfect for me until October.

Jon, trivets are a very good idea too. I do have a lot of scrap that would work for them and, for the reason I gave above, the heat, they're good short projects and they would go along with the coasters to the food bank.

Thanks guys, any other ideas are welcome.

#22 ·
put in a wall or window unit...

#32 ·
I would say it is time to insulate then. Plant some trees, for shade. Something.

#35 ·
Like the pool ideas. We do have a backyard pool, as many in FL, do. It's more for our grandchildren to play in since it's too small to really swim in but it does feel good in warm weather. Yesterday our floating thermostat read 90 degrees. It was like bath water.

In terms of the other suggestions to make my shop more liveable in the summer, they pretty much cost more than I'm willing to spend being on a fixed income. However, the fans that I have do help and even on the hotest days I can still get an hour or two in the shop. I tend to forget all about the heat when I'm focusing on screwing up the cut and building up my scrap pile. On that note, I'm going to be making some trivits for the Manatee County Food Bank fund raiser next November. I have pleanty of scrap that's the right size for that.

Along those lines, any suggestions on what finish I should use on the trivits assuming someone will put a hot dish or pot on it?

#41 ·
pull air in from the outside and shaded side of the building...
you are familiar w/ standing/sitting in the shade vs do that in sun...
heat rises..
you are removing hottest from the top and creating a cooling breeze at the same time......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.