Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several plunge routers. I leave them set up for different operations. One of them is a PC 690 that came with a fixed base and a plunge base. I can’t figure out why I want a fixed base in addition to the plunge base. It's been sitting on a top shelf gathering dust for a few years. Seems to me my plunge base will do everything the fixed base will do...... plus plunge. What am I missing???

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
fixed base for table...?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
edge treatment...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
most bearing guide bits...

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use a D-handle fixed base on my 690 with the dovetail jig for better control.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a dozen or so routers. Most are mounted in shop-made tables. Only have one fixed base and it is a trim router. I've never have seen a need for fixed base. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I would echo what Doug said. It's true that the plunge will do everything that a fixed base will and for anyone buying their first router I suggest that it be a plunge. I believe that Harry Sinclair in Perth, Australia has said they don't see many or any fixed bases for sale in their stores.

Reactions: TWheels

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Lots of apps for that fixed base and more stable casting, Ken.
Turns out most outside cuts are single depth (not requiring the muliti-stage routing of plungers), & ideally suited for the fixed base.
Plunging, whilst on the edge of stock invites a tip-over.
Moreover, plungers have a relatively high center of mass, making them less useful & more risky for end and edge cuts. Appreciate, that any router whilst making a 90° outside turn, has < 20% of its casting on the work! How can you not tip the machine?
Plungers can't be beat for multi-stage inside cuts where the machine is surrounded x substrate; a real handicap for the fixed base 1001 casting. And fixed base tools are the tools of choice for outside single depth, fractional thickness cuts.
Routers

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I don't know, but I have never used a plunge router...only fixed base.

Regards....Gary
Well Gary it's about time for you to buy a new router. A plunge base is as good of a reason as any. I use both bases quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Center of gravity is lower with fixed base, so it is easier to handle, for me at least. I don't use the plunge base much, and of course, the Colt I use is fixed base nearly all the time. Trim use with a plunge base? Doable, but awkward for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts